Carbonating 750ml bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thezepster

Reaction score
I searched 'how much priming sugar for 750 ml bottles' and found multiple answers ranging from 1 tsp to 2 tsp. That seems like a big difference and I really dont want some huge bottle bombs. Anyone know what the correct amount is? (Ill be adding the sugar directly into the bottles)

Why are you adding sugar directly to the bottles, and not using a bucket?

The correct question is: how much sugar (by weight, not volume) should I use?

Measuring by volume is spotty at best, and when measuring such small amounts, could be borderline dangerous.

Type beer carbonation calculator into google. You should find a few site with calculators. Enter in your volume, beer temperature, and desired carb level, and it will give you an amount (weight).

Invest in a small kitchen scale to measure priming sugar, much more accurate and consistent.

When I started out I was told to use a flat teaspoon for mild carbination, rounded for moderate and heaped for high carbination. But after a few times putting the sugar direct in the bottle and then having to quickly get the lid on to stop beer frothing up all over the place I started bulk priming. Most on here do it by transfering the beer into another bucket (with tap for bottling) with the priming sugar solution (sugar boiled in a couple of cups of water) in it. But since I had mine already in the bucket with a tap I just slowly stirred the solution into the beer with a sanitised stirrer, and avoiding stiring up the sediment at the bottom. Look up a bulk priming calculator and it will just spit out how much sugar you need.

mattd2 said:
When I started out I was told to use a flat teaspoon for mild carbination, rounded for moderate and heaped for high carbination. But after a few times putting the sugar direct in the bottle and then having to quickly get the lid on to stop beer frothing up all over the place I started bulk priming. Most on here do it by transfering the beer into another bucket (with tap for bottling) with the priming sugar solution (sugar boiled in a couple of cups of water) in it. But since I had mine already in the bucket with a tap I just slowly stirred the solution into the beer with a sanitised stirrer, and avoiding stiring up the sediment at the bottom. Look up a bulk priming calculator and it will just spit out how much sugar you need.

Bulk is the preferred method, much more consistent bottle to bottle.

If you're doing bulk (the preferred method) then the typical amount you use is 4.5-5 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons regardless of bottle size. You're mixing your priming solution with you beer in a bottling bucket, then filling the bottles. You have a lot more control doing it that way, then trying to get the exact amount in each bottle.

It's also recommended that you measure your priming sugar by weight, not by volume.

When I started out I was told to use a flat teaspoon for mild carbination, rounded for moderate and heaped for high carbination.

Was that for a 12 oz bottle?

I just moved out of the country temporarily and im trying to buy as little equipment as possible. I have a bottling bucket at home, but not here with me. And yes, i know its much easier and more efficient. I tried the tastybrews calculator and it gave me .1 oz per bottle. My scale only goes down to 1 oz... ugh.

Was that for a 12 oz bottle?

I just moved out of the country temporarily and im trying to buy as little equipment as possible. I have a bottling bucket at home, but not here with me. And yes, i know its much easier and more efficient. I tried the tastybrews calculator and it gave me .1 oz per bottle. My scale only goes down to 1 oz... ugh.

Sorry, should of told you what size. That was for the 750 ml PET bottles. The advice was from Hauraki Homebrew in Albany.

As I said you can bulk prime in the primary, just be careful not to stir to much sediment up. It gets pretty compact after a couple of weeks and unless you actually dig into it it will not kick much up.

I searched 'how much priming sugar for 750 ml bottles' and found multiple answers ranging from 1 tsp to 2 tsp. That seems like a big difference and I really dont want some huge bottle bombs. Anyone know what the correct amount is? (Ill be adding the sugar directly into the bottles)

Might be a silly question, but at least in the U.S. most 750 ml bottles are for non-carbonated wines or liquor. Are you sure your bottles are pressure capable?
Pez.

If you are going to carb by the bottle it is easier to use Munton's carb tabs or Coopers carbonation drops. The Munton's look like aspirins and the Cooper's look like gum drops.

As I said you can bulk prime in the primary, just be careful not to stir to much sediment up. It gets pretty compact after a couple of weeks and unless you actually dig into it it will not kick much up.

Thats what i ended up doing. Thanks everyone for the help.

How long did the carb take? Was it noticeably longer than say a 12ozer? I'm about to bottle some cider into champagne bottles and am wondering if 3 to 4 weeks will suffice?

Back