Double IPA, 90 minute? Dogfish involved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Well, I just got home from another random-ass nightshift and it's recipe time. I'm looking to do my first Double IPA. I have to say, my favorite Double IPA so far, although I've had less than 10 or so, is the Dogfish Head 90 minute., Does anyone have a recipe for it? I would prefer extrat but all grain will do. Or you know, even a good starter double IPA. I just love slowely sipping a Dogfish Head 90 min at a beer bar, and savoring every excruciatingly bitter and yet full fruity sip. Alright, time to collapse for a few hours before class and more work.
-Ben

That is my favorite IPA. Need to get another keg of it. Last keg lasted 4 weeks. Glad to see a recipe for it. This is going to be on the list after the famous 06.06.06!

Thanks bobbyc for the link.
nick

Todd said:
it was in late September, the search here sucks. or atleast I suck at it. I can't get the recipe forum past 5 pages.. I think Dude has it.

Man I'm the sh*t. http://members.cox.net/breworr/Old_Leghumper--Thirsty_Dog.html

icon_confused.gif
That's Old Leghumper, a porter.

I don't believe I've ever done a 90 minute clone, but this site has scores of them. BYO and both Zymurgy have done clones as well, IIRC. Search here and you'll find it.

Dude said:
icon_confused.gif
That's Old Leghumper, a porter.

I don't believe I've ever done a 90 minute clone, but this site has scores of them. BYO and both Zymurgy have done clones as well, IIRC. Search here and you'll find it.

Oh crap, I guess I'm not the sh*t.. haha. Well I know someone here gave the the 90 minute recipe, I printed it out.

I did brew the leg humper around that time though.. hah!

Not to critisize a recipe someone offers me out of charity, but does this seem a little basic to anyone else? From the Dogfish Head 60 minute recipes I've found, this just seems like a dumbed down version in the hops department.

Example: http://www.brew365.com/hops_simcoe.php

The Warrior is thrown in initally, followed by Simcoe and Palisade. I'm probably being far too critical. After all, they are different brews. It just seems weird to use the same three hops varieties for both bittering and flavoring aroma. You know? Then again, I am rather new to this. I mean, it can't hurt to try it. If it doesn't hit the mark, maybe I'll try it differently.
-Ben

SkaBoneBenny said:
Not to critisize a recipe someone offers me out of charity, but does this seem a little basic to anyone else? From the Dogfish Head 60 minute recipes I've found, this just seems like a dumbed down version in the hops department.

Example: http://www.brew365.com/hops_simcoe.php

The Warrior is thrown in initally, followed by Simcoe and Palisade. I'm probably being far too critical. After all, they are different brews. It just seems weird to use the same three hops varieties for both bittering and flavoring aroma. You know? Then again, I am rather new to this. I mean, it can't hurt to try it. If it doesn't hit the mark, maybe I'll try it differently.
-Ben

Read that recipe again. It mentions "continuous" hopping. Doesn't seem dumbed down to me at all--in fact it looks like a VERY solid recipe. In fact, it came from BYO!

Sam Calagione has a new book out called Extreme Brewing. In it he gives an extract recipe for his 60 Minute IPA.

He uses Warrior, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops.

I'd write the recipe here but I'm afraid of the copyrights.

Al

Yeah I saw that it uses continuous hopping. I guess the fact that it's continuously hopped with the same three hop varieties is what struck me as strange. But then again, I am rather new to this. Thanks for the reality check Dude, I'll let you know how the recipe turns out!
-Ben

Edit: Wow, I really should have done my homework. I found this from an interview with Sam "Dogfish Head"

"Most IPAs have an early addition of hops (bittering) and one or two late additions (flavor and aroma). We wanted to see what happened if there was no discerning difference between the bittering and finishing hops, if you hopped it constantly."

Silly me

I'd like to brew this but I have no idea how to make mash and all this. The few batches I've made since I started have all been from extract.

I just brewed an extract clone of this a few days ago. Sadly, I fell short of the OG. The recipe I used called for 1.089. I read about 1.079. Not really sure how that happens. Oh well. Hopefully, it will still be delicious.

I have a fantastic 90 minute recipe that I formulated myself. I've done this both as an extract (4 batches) and an all grain (2 batched) and it always came out fantastic. I actually got better results out of the extract because my efficiency was a little low all grain, but everyone always loves it.
Less caramel 60L and subbing the dextrose for pale malt will make it more of a CA style 2xIPA, but I like the 90 Min clone version better.

9.3 lbs Gold Malt Extract
1.4 lbs pale malt Extract (or 1 lb dextrose for a finish that's more dry)
4 oz Aromatic Malt
16 oz caramel 60L (12 oz is you want less toffee flavor)
8 oz Victory
1 oz Chinook hop pellets (all of 90 min boil)
2 oz Cascade hop pellets (.5 oz at 80, 60, 40, 20 min)
2 oz Centennial hop pellets (.5 oz at 70, 50, 30, 10 min)
1 oz Crystal hop pellets (at turn off)
2 oz Cascade leaf hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast
1. Steep at 152.
2. Boil 90 mins and follow hop schedule. I find its best to line the hops up in little labeled dixie cups and drop one every 10 min. This simulates Dogfish's continuous hopping process.
3. Cool, aerate, pitch and ferment at 68.
4. Dry hop when racking to secondary. After one week in secondary decrease temp to 64 or so, this will cause the saturated hop leafs to sink to the bottom and the yeast to flocculate and you can just siphon right off the top to bottling bucket. I leave it on a heating pad until I want this to happen.
4. Cheers, enjoy.

I just brewed an extract clone of this a few days ago. Sadly, I fell short of the OG. The recipe I used called for 1.089. I read about 1.079. Not really sure how that happens. Oh well. Hopefully, it will still be delicious.

Same thing with me. I actually have a thread on this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/low-og-90-minute-ipa-clone-208128/

Except mine was even lower because I had too much water. To anyone monitoring this thread: Use 9lbs DME, not the 8lbs the BYO recipe calls for. The 1079 you got is consistent with the Pilsner mash and 8lbs DME the BYO recipe calls for, but it isn't consistent with the ~1088-1089 the AG recipe gives you.

With me, the gravity was so low I actually corrected it. So we'll see how that turns out. The yeast were probably happy I gave them a 1072 batch to work on initially instead of a 1088 batch, though....

I think if I ever did it again, though, I'd go with the more recent recipe in Sam's book, which I think will give superior results from eyeballing it. I'd also use S-04 dry yeast instead of Wyeast 1099, as they appear to be the same thing (wish I had known that and saved 16 bucks).

I have never made this, but i put together this recipe....good luck

Dogfish 90 Min IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 32.00
Anticipated OG: 1.087 Plato: 20.92
Anticipated SRM: 9.0
Anticipated IBU: 123.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 11.26 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 13.54 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.071 SG 17.23 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.6 29.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
9.4 3.00 lbs. Amber Malt Great Britain 1.032 35

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.00 66.5 90 min.
1.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 10.00 26.0 90 min.
1.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.00 31.2 90 min.
2.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 8.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
This is a toss up, I have read sources that they use a neutral american yeast, and I read they also use English yeast at times...
Fermentis S-05 / 1056
WLP005
Pacman

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 32.00
Water Qts: 41.54 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 10.39 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 149 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 12.95 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

Combine bittering hops and split in 12 equal parts, add first addition to wort with 90 minutes remaining and continue around 1/2 ounce every 7.5 minute
s till end of boil.

Here is the 90 min recipe I have made (3rd time kegged right now). I haven't got the yeast dead on yet, but the hops and grain bill are really close.

What I do with the hops is grind all of them together in a coffee grinder and add ~ 1 tablespoon every 2.5 mins staring at 90 mins.

Now I usually start with more prep-boil wort (on all batches) then the calculated 6.6 so the boiling is usually 120 mins total to get the 5.50 gallons post-boil.

Most recipes call for whitebread yeast, but I haven't tried it....
I have tried wpl001, pacman and nottingham.... and although all are pretty close I would brew again with the pacman.
Here is the recipe:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.62 gal
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

16.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraamber (30.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Crysal/Carmel 60 (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (90 min)
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (90 min)
0.75 oz Simcoe [10.00%] (90 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Mash In Add 22.70 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 14.53 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F 10 min

Most recipes call for whitebread yeast, but I haven't tried it....
I have tried wpl001, pacman and nottingham.... and although all are pretty close I would brew again with the pacman.
Here is the recipe:

S-04 is actually whitbread, so if you want to go cheaper you could use a couple packets of those. The more recent recipe that Sam gives out uses 1187 Ringwood, though, so if I do it again I'm probably going to use that one (WLP005 if you're a WLP guy). Mine had 2 packets of 1099 in it, so we'll see how that goes.

Latest posts

Back