Divorce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divorced?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I just read an article that said more than 50% of marriages in the US now end in divorce ... Curious to know if that percentage is valid in the home brewing crowd ...

So. Have you ever been divorced? Only answer if you have been married. Poll is private as far as I know.

Brewsmith said:
So far we're at 100% not divorced! With only 2 votes...:D

OK, adjusted that for you. Married my highschool sweetheart. What a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do. She couldn't handle the whole military thing, so she split. One of the best things that ever happened to me!

Happliy remarried, BTW.

Not divorced, but then I waited until I was 37 to get married. Got all of that '**** that gets you divorced' stuff out of my system first.:D

I married my High school sweethart 3 years after we got out. Still married, Happily I may add for the past 5 years. I think I got lucky off the bat with her - I have many other freinds that got married young - alot for the wrong reasons :rolleyes: - that have already split up.

NOT Divorced. Still married to the first one for 22 years. We've had our ups and downs, but now it's better than ever. It takes work and compromise.

BTW, she's the only wife I brought with me back from Utah. :)

Need to add another choice:
"No, not yet." j/k ;)

I'm actually happily married--almost three years down and many more to go!
(no, my SWMBO is not standing over my shoulder :D )

I always liked the story about the couple celebrating their 50th. They were asked if they had ever considered a divorce. They looked at each other & he said, "Divorce, no." and she chimes in with, "Murder, yes."

I suspect, given the age demographics of this group, most of the married people have only been married for a few years.

I've been married just over 10 years. We had a close call once, but mostly get along great. We have one of those relationships where we're good friends. She likes sports and has a similar sense of humor, so I think I got lucky.

My philosophy with marriage (and everything else, for that matter) is that it takes the bad times to really appreciate and understand when you're having the good times. Otherwise, the good times just seem average and normal!

On a sidenote, if this poll is indicative of the general public then marriage counselors should start recommending homebrewing as a method of saving marriages!

Brewpastor?

Been married almost 5 years and plan on many more. We did everything backwards, moved in together, bought a house together and then got married. We waited till we were married to have children, but that actually only happened because we later found out that we were both "broken."

started dating her in '78 and got married in '83 so thats 28 years together so far
with no majors bumps in the road

My ten year will be this Wednesday. I'm celebrating by going muzzleloader hunting. Dang, I've got a good wife!

We actually had our celebration on Friday night. :ban:

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
My ten year will be this Wednesday. I'm celebrating by going muzzleloader hunting. Dang, I've got a good wife!

We actually had our celebration on Friday night. :ban:

Happy anniversary. I've got #15 on Thursday. First and only marriage for us both.

I married my first husband when I was 19 and in the Army. What a mistake! We hung on for 16 years, but it was awful for both of us. I'm now remarried (for 5 years) and have a great marriage.

I'd rather be single than in a bad marriage, that's for sure. But a good marriage has been one of God's greatest gifts.

Lorena

Divorced once about 4 years ago. Not nice for me. Cost me about £40000 at the time and i'm still recovering.... Luckily I have compensation in a new SWMBO who's 14 years my junior, Beautiful, long blonde hair, fit toned slim body and firey as f*ck. Gorgeous....and she (almost) puts up with me spending more time on this site than I should.....:D

Happily married all of 8 days now. Just got back from Jamaica with a raging sunburn. Neither of us have ever been married before last weekend. It's great so far, and I think the future will be too.

JeepGuy said:
Happily married all of 8 days now. Just got back from Jamaica with a raging sunburn. Neither of us have ever been married before last weekend. It's great so far, and I think the future will be too.

Congrats! :D

As for the poll, I've never been married, so the question doesn't apply.

Someone mentioned the demo of this site. Anyone familiar if a demo poll has been done here? I searched but nada however I almost thought there was one.

No idea on the demo thread Tx. I'm 40. It seems to me to be predominantly a little older than that, with a healthy mix of the 20 to 30 somethings....

I'm divorced, but I'm the anomaly. My ex and I get along fine, we just realized we were both going in different directions and said hey, this is silly. The only "wrinkle" in her and I going our separate ways was our son. (He was 2 at the time, he turned 10 this past May) It's worked out fine. When he was little I had him every other day and every other weekend. When he hit school age, we went to every other week. (Sunday to Sunday) We both have sacrificed a lot for his sake. (Good God, we're both still in Central Illinois) But we know it's not about us. It's about him. This has become more apparent after the last 4 years as he's developed some health issues along with a good dose of Asperger's to go with it.

So, regardless, I'm divorced. But I don't see it as a dirty word. We had our share of bad times, but we weren't out to make each other's lives miserable, and so we went on. And we're fine.

The stigma of divorce tho, that's another thing. It took my wife (#2) a while at the beginning to get used to my relationship with my ex. I don't hang out with my ex mind you, but I don't hate her. So many people expect divorced people to hate each other. And I can understand that in some cases. It's just not mine. After realizing that there were no real issues with me and my ex, and getting used to the whole thing regarless, SWMBO and I have been together 8 years and married over 3.

oops.

Yeah, I'm divorced. :eek:

Ize

Congratulations GEBB on #10, ablrbrau on #15, and JeepGuy on #0. My wife and I just celebrated our 11th anniversary. Our divorce should be finalized sometime early November.

Good luck,
Wild

SWMBO and I just celebrated our 16th Anniversary last friday(10-27) Went to the Upstream and tossed back quite a few Firehouse ESB's. I knew there was a reason I like her. :)

loop

Ize said:
No idea on the demo thread Tx. I'm 40. It seems to me to be predominantly a little older than that, with a healthy mix of the 20 to 30 somethings....

I'm divorced, but I'm the anomaly. My ex and I get along fine, we just realized we were both going in different directions and said hey, this is silly. The only "wrinkle" in her and I going our separate ways was our son. (He was 2 at the time, he turned 10 this past May) It's worked out fine. When he was little I had him every other day and every other weekend. When he hit school age, we went to every other week. (Sunday to Sunday) We both have sacrificed a lot for his sake. (Good God, we're both still in Central Illinois) But we know it's not about us. It's about him. This has become more apparent after the last 4 years as he's developed some health issues along with a good dose of Asperger's to go with it.

So, regardless, I'm divorced. But I don't see it as a dirty word. We had our share of bad times, but we weren't out to make each other's lives miserable, and so we went on. And we're fine.

The stigma of divorce tho, that's another thing. It took my wife (#2) a while at the beginning to get used to my relationship with my ex. I don't hang out with my ex mind you, but I don't hate her. So many people expect divorced people to hate each other. And I can understand that in some cases. It's just not mine. After realizing that there were no real issues with me and my ex, and getting used to the whole thing regarless, SWMBO and I have been together 8 years and married over 3.

oops.

Yeah, I'm divorced. :eek:

Ize

I'm glad that you and your ex are caring more about your son than anything else. That's rare these days. My oldest (also 10) was diagnosed with Asberger's in first grade. It's quite a challenge at times, but I can think of worse situations to be in. Good luck to you.

Two marriages and two divorces for me.The poll results so far are pretty amazing and not what i would have expected.Great job HB'ers!Mine went 10yrs and 3yrs.Have 3 kids from #1 that i've had the pleasure to to raise myself.My current SWMBO live-in girlfriend of 4 yrs is more wonderful than the ex'es.She turned me on to good beer and homebrewing.She's the greatest and maybe someday I'll make her #3 but I'm reminded of the old "if it ain't broken....."adage.Anyhow,as long as you have SOMEONE consider yourself lucky and hold on to it.:)

Yeah, I am still married to my first wife of almost 30 years. I expect she is a keeper. She not only puts up with my various hobbies, she shares in them. She still expects to be obeyed though and I am smart enough to obey!:rockin:

We're at 3+ years, but we've been living together for about 6 years. Started dating in 2000, and just hit it off so well that we moved in together about 6 months into our relationship. Six years later, we're both happy, in love and have a great kid. We get sick of each other from moment to moment, but she's been wonderful to me. I don't think I could ever find a wife who would treat me better and I doubt I'd get remarried if this didn't work out.

My wife and I have been married for just under 2 years now, though we have been "dating" - mostly long distance - since 1998. In all this time, we still have not had our first fight... I'm beginning to think that we never will. She was previously married, but this is my first marriage. I have always said that I would stay single for the rest of my life before getting into a bad marriage (I know, no guarantees) but that is why it took me until 36 to get married - had to make sure she was a keeper! My wife says that lack of communication was the biggest culprit for her divorce, and she vows not to let that happen again. Anyway, almost at the 2 year mark, (8 years total) and I feel like I am still a honeymooner!

Mrs. Monkey and I hit 16 years in August. She was married briefly when she was 18. We married when I was 22 and she was 29. Older chicks are cool. She's into horses and I'm into women who ride horses. No pun intended. Everyone says that communication is important. I must agree. Marriage is work. Try living with one of your buddies every day for a year. Not happenin'! It's a special person that you can live around day in and day out and not kill them.

The great Richard Pryor once said " It's hard to find a MF that loves your a$$ ! When you do, don't F it up !"

Wise words, but not the same with the edits.

Marriage has become disposable. I'm NOT saying that those who are divorced here didn't have good reason for it, but a lot of people get married these days without really thinking it through. I was with my wife for seven years before we got married, and by the time we did tie the knot, we already knew everything about one another and there were no surprises to deal with.

Back