12 Beers of Christmas 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
Ok I'll volunteer to run it this year. Guidelines copied from last year:

Here's the general concept:
12 different brewers will brew one of the 12 beers of Christmas found in Randy's Mosher's Radical Brewing.
If you don't have the book, can't borrow it, etc., I can PM the recipe to you.
Each brewer sends out three 12oz bottles of their beer to the 11 other brewers (33 bottles sent out in total) and receives 3 bottles of each recipe in return. Maybe you drink one, share one, and age the third!?
Some of these are fairly big beers, and need some time and aging to be optimal, so planning and brewing early can be critical. If you're bottle conditioning, be ready to bottle in time, etc. Also, one of the beers (Juniper Rye Bock) is a lager, so a brewer with a lagering fridge will be needed for that one.

Shipping:
It will cost you some money to send out 11 packages! Getting involved in this project means you'll eventually need to wrap up 11 packages with 3 beers each, and mail them potentially all the way across the country from where you live. You may be looking at about $120 in shipping give or take (but you're getting 33 fancy Christmas beers!). (I think for 2016, with me being on the east coast, the total was close to 100 bucks for the 6 packages we ended up having to ship. So, keep that in mind.)
With this in mind, it has been historically a necessity to require that all brewers will need to be located inside the continental U.S.
If you can accept packages at a business address, that will save your fellow brewers some money. (For some reason, the big shippers charge less to deliver to a business address...)
Speaking of the big shippers, generally if you show up at UPS or FedEx with a well packed, sealed box, they don't ask questions. Technically you aren't supposed to ship liquids via USPS, but in prior years some participants have shipped using Flat Rate boxes from the post office, and haven't had any issues.
Shipping will need to occur the week after Thanksgiving (this year, that's the week of Nov 27th thru Dec 3rd.)
For reference: In 2012, @biochemedic posted some (admittedly perhaps overkill) instructions for packaging a 12 oz longneck for shipping, and also a post with some common box sizes that work well for shipping 3 wrapped/bagged longnecks.

Choosing What You Want to Brew:
We'll use the same system as previous years: first come first served (with the noted restrictions below...)
Reply to this thread if you're interested and let us know which beer you want to brew.
As beers are claimed, I will update the thread with the brewer's name next to their selection.

How to not be a d*u$hb@g:
As much as it pains me to post this part, the simple fact is that, every single year this project has been run, there has been at least one brewer who has simply up and vanished, and at times has been shipped homebrew in good faith before their disappearance has become apparent.

Based on this, I wish to request that all participants be either relatively established HBT members (more than a year since joining) *or* be a paid (Supporting or Lifetime) member, *or*, have successfully participated in the previous year.
Communicate! If for some reason you have to back out, own up to it ASAP, and hopefully allow a replacement brewer to step in.

Here is the list of Beers:

1) Caramel Quadrupel
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock
4) Juniper Rye Bock
5) Fruitcake Old Ale
6) Saffron Tripel
7) Christmas Gruit ( @Auger )
8) Honey Ginger IPA
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
10) Gingerbread Ale
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout
12) Abbey Weizen

So....release the hounds!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm calling the Christmas Gruit now, since it sounds like a very interesting recipe and no-one picked up it last year so it should be fun to try.

Available:

1) Caramel Quadrupel
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel
4) Juniper Rye Bock
5) Fruitcake Old Ale
6) Saffron Tripel
8) Honey Ginger IPA
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout
12) Abbey Weizen

Taken:

10) Gingerbread Ale ( @TBC )

Count me in on the Crabapple Lambicky. Have plenty of time to do it this year and the crabs are still hanging on the tree.

I've been meaning to do this for years, put me down for the saffron tripel please.

Got it.

I'd love to participate. Mind if I take the caramel quadrupel?

Looks you'll be at a year of membership in March, so that should be fine. Got it.

Count me in on the Crabapple Lambicky. Have plenty of time to do it this year and the crabs are still hanging on the tree.

heard

Woops. Two minutes too late. I'll take the Spiced Cherry Dbl then.

aaaand you get your second choice :)

Good start, list as follows:

Available:

4) Juniper Rye Bock
5) Fruitcake Old Ale
8) Honey Ginger IPA
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout
12) Abbey Weizen

Taken:

1) Caramel Quadrupel ( @Easycreeper )
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel ( @passedpawn )
6) Saffron Tripel ( @dryboroughbrewing )
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale ( @HawleyFarms )

@Auger - Thanks for letting me participate. I was hoping you'd let me slide since I didn't quite have the year's worth of membership just yet...

Going to start working on this in the next month. Quads seem to benefit from some aging and it'll give me the opportunity to see if I need to start building water profiles. You know, in case it doesn't come out quite right the first time. :D

I did the Quad last year. I did two incarnations as I wasn't super happy with the first one. The tricky part (for me) was getting the caramel addition to have just the right amount of caramel taste without going too far and get a burnt taste.

I like this beer. It was a great experience last year, but have to sit out this year.

Enjoy. I will be following.

I did the Quad last year. I did two incarnations as I wasn't super happy with the first one. The tricky part (for me) was getting the caramel addition to have just the right amount of caramel taste without going too far and get a burnt taste.

I like this beer. It was a great experience last year, but have to sit out this year.

Enjoy. I will be following.

Thanks for the tip! Really excited to get this going!

I have not been a member long enough to join this, nor do I have the experience brewing to be sure I could pull it off. But dang it the Fruitcake Old Ale sure looks interesting. Who has had it and what did you think?

Recipe is in Beersmith. I've got the ingredients except for the cherries. I'll be brewing in the next month or so, so you're going to get some aged beer. I expect to push the ABV way up on mine. I've found over the years that spiced holiday beers are annoying unless they are BIG.

You know after reviewing the recipes and the rules, I am tempted to join in. Fruitcake beer haha, whodathunk. Right up my alley, hmmmm.

Ok, SWMBO just came in and said I should do it. I am in. Fruitcake Old Ale it is. I was planning a brew day in a couple weeks so I will get right to it. I found this recipe https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4v-3pnuvRAhXEy1QKHSr-DIMQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hazardhomebrewing.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2F12beers-5.txt&usg=AFQjCNFl0UgP0ll2ZSlOLYdnqEznnW7ETQ&sig2=l4dxit1nqCoqQJ78HA6s5A . Does it look right? Maybe someone could send me the recipe if not?

Planning out my Crabapple Lambicky as we speak. Sticking pretty close to the original recipe except that I will be using Wyeast 1010 for my ale strain, fermenting with the crabs in primary and then racking onto American Farmhouse Blend to age. Also planning to freeze enough extra crabs to brew another batch with Roseleare Blend over the summer. Having a decently producing crab tree in my yard, I'd like to turn this into a long term geuze project.

Planning out my Crabapple Lambicky as we speak. Sticking pretty close to the original recipe except that I will be using Wyeast 1010 for my ale strain, fermenting with the crabs in primary and then racking onto American Farmhouse Blend to age. Also planning to freeze enough extra crabs to brew another batch with Roseleare Blend over the summer. Having a decently producing crab tree in my yard, I'd like to turn this into a long term geuze project.

I remember crabapple trees all over the place when I lived up there. Sounds like a great plan.

I'm using (loosely :) recipe from the same place.

Cool, good to know. I will probably take it loosely too, (yeah even with my inexperience) my wife and I like to put our touch to everything, which we do with great success. Now my research begins, going to reread the Old Ale section in Designing Great Beers now. Have you any suggestions? I would graciously receive them. I too will be looking to make this a big beer, maybe 8%ish?

Oh boy this is gonna be fun!!:D

My recommendation? Though it will be met with some ridicule on this forum (it's OK!), don't brew while drinking. Plan your project, think about it, draw it out on paper, and when you are ready, brew sober (coffee!), take notes, be a scientist. This is my way and I think it's wonderful, and it works for me.

I guess I'll let you know how it worked out about a year from now :)

My recommendation? Though it will be met with some ridicule on this forum (it's OK!), don't brew while drinking. Plan your project, think about it, draw it out on paper, and when you are ready, brew sober (coffee!), take notes, be a scientist. This is my way and I think it's wonderful, and it works for me.

I guess I'll let you know how it worked out about a year from now :)

Yeah no drinking while brewing for me, I really dont even drink much. I have been trying harder lately though. I sure do enjoy me some good beer. I will be planning carefully and probably wont stray too far from the original recipe anyway. Working on it in beersmith now, I don't do much on paper anymore with my crampy carpenter hands.

We're off and running, awesome!

This got going but quick! Nice work, Auger!

I'd like to jump in with the Spiced Bourbon Stout... Would anyone object to a heavier base recipe? Say an OG somewhere around 1.060 instead of 1.050, a low to mid 6% ABV?

No worries at all, I did this one last year and I ended up right about at 7%, and I'm glad I did. With the spice mix given, I ended up increasing the bourbon because it was practically imperceptible. With a lighter base beer I think the spices would have been overpowering.

I'll take #4 the juniper rye bock

Ok, SWMBO just came in and said I should do it. I am in. Fruitcake Old Ale it is. I was planning to brew day in a couple weeks so I will get right to it. I found this recipe https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...SlOLYdnqEznnW7ETQ&sig2=l4dxit1nqCoqQJ78HA6s5A . Does it look right? Maybe someone could send me the recipe if not?

I think I've gotten everyone so far, but let me know if I've missed anything.

Available:

8) Honey Ginger IPA
12) Abbey Weizen

Taken:

4) Juniper Rye Bock ( @jerbrew )
5) Fruitcake Old Ale ( @JDXX1971 )
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout ( @HopHeavy )

Ok, SWMBO just came in and said I should do it. I am in. Fruitcake Old Ale it is. I was planning a brew day in a couple weeks so I will get right to it. I found this recipe https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4v-3pnuvRAhXEy1QKHSr-DIMQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hazardhomebrewing.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2F12beers-5.txt&usg=AFQjCNFl0UgP0ll2ZSlOLYdnqEznnW7ETQ&sig2=l4dxit1nqCoqQJ78HA6s5A . Does it look right? Maybe someone could send me the recipe if not?

That looks like the exact recipe from the book

Cool, good to know. I will probably take it loosely too, (yeah even with my inexperience) my wife and I like to put our touch to everything, which we do with great success. Now my research begins, going to reread the Old Ale section in Designing Great Beers now. Have you any suggestions? I would graciously receive them. I too will be looking to make this a big beer, maybe 8%ish?

Oh boy this is gonna be fun!!:D

I also did some research on the style last year, and did end up modifying the recipe a bit. I PM'd you my recipe. This beer will end up pretty big even without a whole lot of help, especially if you factor in the sugar from the dried fruit...mine came in a solid 8.9%

This Feb is my 5 year "brewiversary" so I figure this is a good way to celebrate that. I'll do the Ginger Honey IPA. Stoked to be a part of this! :mug:
I'll need the recipe or i can look one up tomorrow. I'll make sure it's a fresh IPA for everyone. Definitely not brewing it anytime soon!

This Feb is my 5 year "brewiversary" so I figure this is a good way to celebrate that. I'll do the Ginger Honey IPA. Stoked to be a part of this! :mug:
I'll need the recipe or i can look one up tomorrow. I'll make sure it's a fresh IPA for everyone. Definitely not brewing it anytime soon!

I just happen to have the book here at work. I will pm you a pic of the recipe.

Sounds good! I saw you got the recipe so you should be all set.

Only two more to go, fantastic!

Available:

12) Abbey Weizen

Taken:

4) Juniper Rye Bock ( @jerbrew )
5) Fruitcake Old Ale ( @JDXX1971 )
8) Honey Ginger IPA (@bobeer )
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout ( @HopHeavy )

However I'm in Canada. I understand logistics counts me out. Is anyone aware of a Canadian community somewhere within these forums? Would be fun to organize a northern exchange!

I have a proposal for you all (though mostly @Auger ). My brother Pete, a home brewer, has expressed an interest in brewing the 3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock and participating in this trade. However, he is not a member here (yet). I recognize this is a departure from the plan, but I can absolutely vouch for him and it may serve to simplify some of the shipping. I believe a similar arrangement was successful in the last incarnation in 2016. Let me know your thoughts on this so I can inform him.

I have a proposal for you all (though mostly @Auger ). My brother Pete, a home brewer, has expressed an interest in brewing the 3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock and participating in this trade. However, he is not a member here (yet). I recognize this is a departure from the plan, but I can absolutely vouch for him and it may serve to simplify some of the shipping. I believe a similar arrangement was successful in the last incarnation in 2016. Let me know your thoughts on this so I can inform him.

The failures to follow thru are pretty well documented in the past version of this endeavor. Pretty awful, mostly for the person who failed.

Are you sure you want to shoulder this?

Back