Critique Kitchen Sink American Barley-Lager-Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbodaman

Reaction score
As the name implies I threw the kitchen sink at this recipe, ie I have a bunch of random grain, hops, and yeast I'd like to get rid of. I'm aware the ingredients are peculiar but I think it should work what do you all think?
I'm slightly worried about the hops I might have to buy an ounce or so to fix that.

5.2 gallons into fermentor
70% estimated brewhouse efficiency
1.084 OG est
Boil length 60 min
Detroit City water (soft and balanced) no adjustments

Grain:
10 lbs Briess PALE ALE malt (3.5L)
5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich light (10L)
1 lb caramunich (45L)

Mash: 149F for 75 min batch sparge

Hops: 2 oz simcoe 60 min (13.2 AA whole leaf)
1 oz Tettanang 10 min ( 2.5 AA pellet)

Yeast: wlp 820 octoberfest, starter = huge
Ferment at 55F for 3 weeks, increase temp to 62F for 1 week, lager at 40F til the first snow. Novemberish

Optional ingredients I have on hand: 1lb roasted barley, 1lb crystal80, 1lb biscuit malt, wlp007 dry english ale, Us-05. I was thinking maybe using the wlp 007.
Any input would help thanks! cheers :mug:

I see nothing immediately out of line. Make sure you make a absolutely huge or stepped starter, and if you havent used that yeast before, it may need to be roused when it starts to floc out, especially on a big beer. Not sure what your calculated ibus are, but make sure they are fairly high, its going to drop off with the aging.

I see nothing immediately out of line. Make sure you make a absolutely huge or stepped starter, and if you havent used that yeast before, it may need to be roused when it starts to floc out, especially on a big beer. Not sure what your calculated ibus are, but make sure they are fairly high, its going to drop off with the aging.

The beersmith calculated IBU's are 74 so I figure that's at least high enough, since this isn't a huge Barleywine. I haven't used Simcoe in a long time how is it for bittering? Better than Citra I hope.

My 1/2 gallon starter is bubbling away right now I think I'll step it up to a full gallon. I haven't used this yeast before, and also haven't made a lager in about 3 years I'll definitely rouse the yeast every so often thanks for the tip.

At least a full gallon. Mr malty says with one tube made yesterday, you need a 4 gallon starter. Mr malty is usually on the high end, you can get away with less, but your yeast wasnt made yesterday. I usually make a helles or a pils as basically a 5 gallon starter before making a big lager.

Ive never used simcoe for bittering, i just buy warrior or perle by the lb as a default bittering hop for everything unless there is a good reason otherwise for a beer.

The 206 strain (820/2206) is a heavy floculator, it can drop out before cleaning up diacetyl, especially in a big beer. so id rouse it when you start raising the temp for a drest.

Back