Need some heat resistance assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
So I got this shiny new stand built and fired up my burners last night to test it all with some water before my brew day tomorrow and noticed that the wood "legs" (where arrows are) get warm to the touch (there is a blichmann burner under the keg that sits approximately 7" away from wood). I can easily stick my hand there between the burners and the wood without the need to remove it fast, but after 30 min of heat the wood was hot to the touch. I am not quite sure what material I should cover those areas with that will somewhat insulate the wood. Under the burners, there is not much heat at all on the wood that I could feel, but I don't mind covering that either if needed.

I have noticed some use ceramic tiles, some use flashing, some use sheet metal.
Is there any advantages over the other? I want to stick to the shiny look of what you would think of as a brewery (shiny metals, copper etc) but mostly I want it to protect.

Any advice?

stand.jpg

you could easily attach some aluminum or (fancy) copper flashing to the exposed legs to protect the wood. I would nail or screw a couple small washers between the flashing and the wood to create a small air gap (1/8") for extra protection. ;)

you could easily attach some aluminum or (fancy) copper flashing to the exposed legs to protect the wood. I would nail or screw a couple small washers between the flashing and the wood to create a small air gap (1/8") for extra protection. ;)

Thank you, I have been trying to research melting points etc to make sure I use the right material....just worried a little, don't wanna deal with a fire mid brew!

Latest posts

Back