Helium instead of co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh my gosh that was soo funny. They were talking like that for so long at first I was like oooh **** how long will their voices be stuck!!

Unfortunately, science will not allow helium to stay in solution very long. It is lighter then CO2 and oxygen so it will escape quickly after opening the bottle.

This was a riff on a Sam Adams April Fools prank. Sam Adams acknowledged it was fake. And in the full version of the video, they too acknowledge it as such.

Alas, as decribed above, the laws of physics make this impossible as helium is insoluble in beer.

It also won't allow gasses from your belly to pass over your vocal cords.

That was my first thought, too. Even when I saw the video title, I was thinking, "That wouldn't work, would it? Unless you were burping continuously as you were trying to talk? That's not how the human body is designed."

This would be the beer of choice for any Trimix scuba diver who enjoys a bottle of suds after finishing up a great mixed gas dive. lol

I just happened to have several scuba tanks filled with Trimix. Sad this won't actually work. But it's a good thing I guess, as Helium is already too dang expensive to have to compete with homebrewers to purchase it. lol

This old urban legend never gets old. It dates back to the dawn of the internet where the story was about Japanese karaoke bars offering helium beer so men could hit high notes.

The legend's variation is Japanese beer with hydrogen for the same use, but involves self immolation during a smoke break.

I dunno, if I drink a beer too quickly or eat a big meal, I get some gasses from my belly passing over my vocal cords.

You do get burps, but they do not pass over the vocal chords (which are in your trachea, not in your esophagus).

I was assuming they had enough helium in their lungs from breathing in the aroma... I guess I am a sucker.

Back