Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my Magnums, Willamette, and Cascades as of 6/25/08. The post is about 15 feet tall. The Willamette Valley is a no brainer for growing hops.:)

Hops.jpg

hops1.jpg

Here the first pic of several.... My hops are hangin' heavy. This is good reason to clip growth...

2008_Late_June_001.jpg

This is 2.5" schedule 40 pvc....

2008_Late_June_002.jpg

Frontal Shot...

2008_Late_June_003.jpg

Super-Fat Bine close up...

2008_Late_June_004.jpg

I count 8 bines....

2008_Late_June_005.jpg

Looking straight up...

2008_Late_June_006.jpg

Another angle...

2008_Late_June_007.jpg

Look right at the top...

2008_Late_June_008.jpg

I expect to be my best yield yet, provided it can stay standing....

OMG to above post..Those are huge! Here is my 1st yr. Willamette w/ irrigation dripper system. Going out today for more Manure. Sunbeam is way in the back..

1st.Yr.Williamette.6.29.08.jpg

Bighops

Anybody who has tall bines or cones sucks. I'm going to delete this thread, because your hops should not be bigger than the OP :(.

J/K

I hope the warm weather we are supposed to have all weekend will help.

Anybody who has tall bines or cones sucks. I'm going to delete this thread, because your hops should not be bigger than the OP :(.

J/K

I hope the warm weather we are supposed to have all weekend will help.

Seconded, we need a mod to lock this thread quickly. :p

My Cascades & Fuggles topped out yesterday, it's been a cold, cloudy spring. Unfortunately, the gallery is barfing when I try to upload.

img_1531.jpg

Much better. The trellis is 16' tall and the Cascades is closest to the camera. Only 46F this morning.

img_1532.jpg

I have flowers on a few of mine....I just don't know what to do....first year plants are 20+ feet tall....WTF?

Since its the photo thread, and I haven't posted since mine were 4" tall, may as well show off some burrs on my one first-year williamette thats at least 15' by now (try to ignore the japanese beetle destruction on the leaves behind them)...

img1668qo9.jpg

img1688hq9.jpg

The inverted V in the center has a first year Cascade on the left and a second year Chinook on the right. I also have a Fuggle that's not doing as well and a Centennial. I expect the Chinook and Cascade to produce really well, but not much from the others.

The inverted V in the center has a first year Cascade on the left and a second year Chinook on the right. I also have a Fuggle that's not doing as well and a Centennial. I expect the Chinook and Cascade to produce really well, but not much from the others.

Cascades are really good growers. Sound like Chinnook is too. I can't say much for centennials. I know from what I've read Fuggles are hard to grow.

Looks like you'll have a good crop this year.

Well, I went over and checked out the hops that I'll be harvesting in 4-6 weeks. all I can say is WOW! There are nice cones coming on all the varieties.

Hallertau:

Mt. Hood

Red Vine:

Saaz:

Cookiebaggs - Man I love your pergola. I've always wanted my hops growing on a pergola!!! :rockin:

Natural shade - perfect beer garden!!!!

Cookiebaggs - Man I love your pergola. I've always wanted my hops growing on a pergola!!! :rockin:

Natural shade - perfect beer garden!!!!

Actually, it's not my pergola or my hops. I just harvest them :D.

The people who own them just like to grow for shade and decoration. They don't brew but are absoutely tickled to death that someone (me) is using them as opposed to just tearing them down in the fall. :eek:

I, of course, share a bunch of brew with them all year. It's a sweet setup.

Some of these rhisomes are going on their 9th year.

Beautiful hops pictures. Mine still aren't anywhere near impressive. I think once I have a house of my own and can put them in the ground they will do a lot better.

Beautiful hops pictures. Mine still aren't anywhere near impressive. I think once I have a house of my own and can put them in the ground they will do a lot better.

Same here, but I feel my hops could be the worst on the site.

2 1/2 months of growing, only 12 inches of growth on one, and 6 inches on the other two. They just wont do anything!:(

Cookiebags, it looks like your hops are going to freakin Eat your house. Good Job. I wonder what it'll look like 9 years from now when I don't live here anymore but my hops do.

Haha. I just hope mine make it until next season so I can re-evaluate wth is going on with them. Have you tried any tricks to get them to pick things up?

Bobby - Which way does the house face. I'm guessing the hops are on the south side. My hops are more stout one side. I'm wondering if the east/west set-up makes a difference.

My house faces west. The south-east plant is doing awesome.

Mine faces east. I was starting to think the SE most plant shadows the other. Maybe but not in your case.

Did you clip bines equally on both plants. I didn't unfortunately, I had some wind damage in May or June... The wind did it for me.

My bines are starting to produce hop cones. I am feeling a little lucky. I planted 5 hops this year and all 5 have cones starting. Due to the sun position I was not able to get pics of all 5, but these are 2 of them.

First year Centennial
IMG_0010.jpg

1st Year Cascade
IMG_0011.jpg

Back