McGsters Electric Brewery Rebuild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
After a few years of brewing on my steel shelving stand in front of my windows in the basement and many messes / spills, i decided i needed a more permanent home for my brewery that could handle the occasional spill / splash of boiling wort.

I had also gone through several upgrades and different techniques of brewing so my system was pretty piecemeal, i thought this would be a good opportunity to build a permanent home, and finally build a new PID controller to replace my DIY panel.

The current setup was located right next to my electrical panel, at the time i built my controller this seemed like the best idea, it didn't take too many brews to realize i need some more distance between brewing and my panel.

My main goals with the rebuild are to build a protected area to brew in that will contain any spills or splashes without damaging the room, increase my easy of brewing, and create a space that facilitates my brewing.

Anyway, here is my previous setup:

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Here is a shot of where the new brewery will be moved to, nestled between my beer vault and wall where an under utilized shelving rack is.

IMG_6992 (1).jpg

I looked around for different options below my brewery and for a variety of reasons (price / application) i ended up sticking with ceramic tile, once the grout is treated it provides an easy to clean and durable water proof floor covering. I built a 4 ft x 4 ft platform to lay the tile and and primed / sealed / water proofed the ends so they wouldn't mould on me.

IMG_6931.jpg

IMG_6935 (1).jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

IMG_6958.jpg

I purchased 8'x4' 20 gauge galvanized panels from my local ventilation store for a reasonable price (everything is reasonable compared to stainless) and laminated them to 1/2" plywood to enable me to secure shelving / hooks through the sheeting and into the wall.

I'm very happy with how the panels compared to other options. The 20 gauge is probably overkill and if i had to do it again i'd go with 22 or even 24 gauge, 20 is harder to screw through and quite a bit heavier but it will be great once its completed.

The last picture is with the panel dry fit in place.

IMG_6985.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg

IMG_7001 (1).jpg

I assembled the walls together with 5 strong tie galvanized brackets on each side, it did solid job giving the structure some rigidity.

(ignore the skew in the photo as it is a panoramic to fit it into frame)

The second picture is after i wrestled the walls into place.

Next step is to build the hood.

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

I was able to get the hood done but sadly didn't snap a picture before i had to leave for a month. I'll be sure to post one when i get back.

I'm trying to track down some heavy duty stainless steel hooks for suspending the grain bag and hanging my mash paddle and rig my ventilation up.

Latest posts

Back