Goldinglocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkristofo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WYeast 1099
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days @ 68˚F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68˚F
Additional Fermentation
None
[size=+2]Goldinglocks Blonde Ale[/size]
[size=+1]6-B Blonde Ale[/size]

05.jpg

Size: 5.06 gal
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 139.15 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.042 (1.038 - 1.054)
|============#===================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.008 - 1.013)
|================#===============|
Color: 5.8 (3.0 - 6.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 4.12% (3.8% - 5.5%)
|==========#=====================|
Bitterness: 19.97 (15.0 - 28.0)
|==============#=================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
4 lbs Pale Liquid
.5 lbs Carahell®
1.5 lbs Dry Extra Light
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea WYeast 1099 Whitbread Ale
1 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min

[size=+1]Notes:[/size]
1tsp Gypsum to 1/2gal water and heat to 170˚F. Steep grains for 30 mins @ 170˚F. Allow grains to drain into kettle (without squeezing), and discard. Heat to a boil, remove from heat. Add 1.5lbs extra light dme. Return to a boil, add 1oz EKG. Boil 40 minutes, then add 4lbs Alexander Pale Liquid malt extract. Stir rapidly to avoid carmelization.
Boil 5 minutes, add 1tsp irish moss (and wort chiller). Boil 15 minutes and remove from heat. Chill to 68˚F. Aerate thoroughly. Pitch yeast. Ferment 1 week below 70˚F, rack to secondary for 2 weeks to clear. Bottle with 4oz dextrose.

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

goldinglocks.jpg

Mmmm, I love me some blond ale... this one sounds really tasty!

Can you please provide some tasting notes? What's your opinion of the WYeast 1099? What would you recommend for a dry yeast substitute, if any?

Sure thing! A bunch of details can be found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53114

But in short, when I first tried it (at bottling) I was scared I'd made some awful libation resembling a BMC. It turns out the beer was just too green.

I tried a bottle yesterday, knowing that carbonation would probably not be complete, just to see how it's coming along...and it's coming along quite well! Hard to say anything about head retention due to the low carb, but the Whitbread has fallen out leaving a very nice, clean, straw colored ale. It has a pleasant grainy maltiness to it, coupled with the bitter from the EKG's (but a very, very mild bitterness at that). At this point it seems the balance is more on the malt side than hops, but it's pretty early to tell! I suspect it will balance out nicely with time. The only off flavor I can detect is some slight diacetyl. We'll see if it fades with time, but if not I'd recommend bumping it up to 72 for a day or two after fermentation is complete.

If I were to do a dry yeast substitute...I'd use Danstar Nottingham.

Latest posts

Back