Yeast Starter - Gone Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megiddo

Reaction score
I started a yeast starter yesterday in a ½ gallon growler. I use a Brewer's Best kit but I can't remember the name of the yeast... I threw away the envelop, argh!

I used some yeast nutrient (from my LHBS, no idea what it is) and some priming sugar. It’s been 24 hours and the yeast is on the bottom of the growler and the water looks like lemonade.

The volume of the yeast across the bottom is about ½ inch (much more than what was in envelop.

I’ve got no bubbles like I had last time (looked like a mini fermenter)

Is my yeast dead? I was planning on brewing today.

Did you use any malt extract in the starter? Even with yeast nutrient I don't think the yeast will do well in a corn sugar only solution. Also, if it was dried yeast you really don't need a starter.

RichBrewer said:
Did you use any malt extract in the starter? Even with yeast nutrient I don't think the yeast will do well in a corn sugar only solution. Also, if it was dried yeast you really don't need a starter.

No malt extract, just priming sugar and that yeast nutrient.

Do you think I can still use the yeast?

I would say you can still use the yeast. It probably just settled out of solution. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone with more knowledge of yeast will chime in.
Good luck

RichBrewer said:
I would say you can still use the yeast. It probably just settled out of solution. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone with more knowledge of yeast will chime in.
Good luck

Thanks! SHMBO is at the mall, so I've got this afternoon to brew... so I'm going for it.

Come on yeasties!

Using sugar in a starter instead of wort/DME etc. isn't good. The yeast gets used to fermenting the sugar and will quit making the enzyme that allows it to chew on maltose, which is the sugar in your wort.
Using sugar to proof your dry rehydrated yeast isn't so bad as it isn't with the yeast that long before it is pitched.
you don't need a starter for dry yeast.

boo boo said:
Using sugar in a starter instead of wort/DME etc. isn't good. The yeast gets used to fermenting the sugar and will quit making the enzyme that allows it to chew on maltose, which is the sugar in your wort.
Using sugar to proof your dry rehydrated yeast isn't so bad as it isn't with the yeast that long before it is pitched.

Another lesson learned.

I just finished brewing an Irish Stout. Let's hope those yeasties didn't learn that lesson too quick.

I'll report back tomorrow.

boo boo said:

That's right, never use corn sugar for a starter. The yeast will do to well and starts to get lazy because it stops producing the enzymes necessary to convert maltose and maltotriose (for lager yeast). The result could be a stuck fermentation.

Kai

Kaiser said:
That's right, never use corn sugar for a starter. The yeast will do to well and starts to get lazy because it stops producing the enzymes necessary to convert maltose and maltotriose (for lager yeast). The result could be a stuck fermentation.

Kai

Is there anything I can do at this point?

What is the Yeast Nutrient that my brew store sold me?

Megiddo said:
Is there anything I can do at this point?

Did it actually ferment? What does it taste like?

If it fermented, just pitch the sediment. The yeast is hopefully fine. I'm not sure how fast the yast looses its ability to metabolize the higher sugars.

What is the Yeast Nutrient that my brew store sold me?

This should be some minerals and some organic matter (amino acids) that the yeast needs for healthy growth. Malted barley based wort should have all this already.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Did it actually ferment? What does it taste like?
Kai

You mean the starter? I didn't taste it. I had no activity in the air lock and it all seemed to settle to the bottom.

However, I just checked on my primary (5 hrs. old)... I'm getting 1 bubble per 45 seconds and a small krauzen is starting.

I think I'm going to be ok.

Mental note, if I don't have what needed for a starter... don't do one!

BTW, I just broke into my English Brown Ale 4 days early (ran out of my first batch... gave too much away). Man is it good!!!! :ban:

Thanks everyone for the help.

Megiddo said:
However, I just checked on my primary (5 hrs. old)... I'm getting 1 bubble per 45 seconds and a small krauzen is starting.

you shoud be ok.

BTW, I just broke into my English Brown Ale 4 days early (ran out of my first batch... gave too much away). Man is it good!!!! :ban:

Great feeling, isn't it.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Great feeling, isn't it.

Kai

I can't say I really had any "great" beer other than some of the better store bought (affordable stuff)... but this stuff is yummy!

Home Brewing has got to be one of the best kept secrets.

I'm getting a krauzen that is almost filling my carboy... wow! largest ferment I've seen.

IMG_9557.jpg

I used one of those air locks as pictured with my siphon tubing for a blow off. The tubing fit very snugg inside the plastic. First of all my beer was a 1.080 and I pitched it on a yeast cake and I did not realize that the end of the airlock was not all the way open. I had the brew in my plastic bucket with one of the smaller rubber stoppers. I was surprised that when the airlock clogged up, the lid blew off and the cork stayed in. Those lids are pretty tough to get off I was surprised that the rubber stopper did not blow out. When my wife seen the mess she just smiled......What a trooper

Back