A good pilsner???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the art of home brew but am looking to make a good pilsner. I personally dont ever drink lighter beers but my friends love em. So if anyone has a recipe for a good pilsner of any type of lighter beer i would greatly appreciate it. Keep in mind i am a newbie:cross:

tdavisii said:
Keep in mind i am a newbie:cross:

I'm afraid to say that Pilsners are one of the most difficult styles to brew. Beisides being a lager their more subtle taste doesn't leave much room for error.

I'd recommend a lighter ale or an American Hefeweizen (also an ale) instead.

Kai

Without having a fridge to lager in you aren't really going to be able to make a true pilsner but that doesn't exclude you from the party. Some yeasts ferment out to lager/pilsner-type characteristics with 'normal' fermenting temperatures. There are most often called "california" type yeasts, and produce mainly "steam beers". That being said, if you use White Labs WLP810 San Fran Lager yeast you could do a nice pre-prohibition type steemer with this recipe (it is quite good, i've made it a few times):

5 lbs. pale malt extract
2 lbs. rice syrup

3/4 oz. Hallertaur hop pellets - 60 minute boil
1/2 oz. Hallertaur hop pellets - 30 minutes remaining
1/2 oz. Hallertaur hop pellets - 5 minutes remianing

1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss

If you like it hoppy, pump the first hop addition op to an ounce and the second to 3/4. Either way, it should end up light and tasty.

Back