Vanilla Caramel Milk Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you make my Vanilla Caramel Milk Ale?

• Yes

• No

• Liked it

• No Opinion

• Hated it

Results are only viewable after voting.
NoBull6 said:
I got the recipe from the original thread, and I didn't notice a version 1 and a version 2 - just saw the one version. What's the difference between the two recipes? Just curious which "version" I made :)

V1 focused more on sweetness. It tastes less like a beer and more like cream soda. The hops are overpowered by the vanilla and lactose.

V2 has more of a beer profile with less unfermentable sugars and more hops. It's got the hops bite at the end of it and a more mellow vanilla proile.

I like both. My friends who have drank both like V1 better.

well your extract version called for some wheat extract. I was thinking of an AG version, and adding a couple lbs of wheat malt. You dont htink the caramel crystal and the caramel wheat would be too much?

Chimone said:
well your extract version called for some wheat extract. I was thinking of an AG version, and adding a couple lbs of wheat malt. You dont htink the caramel crystal and the caramel wheat would be too much?

No clue. I'm making it up as I go along.

So I tapped the keg today - and I'm not sure I like this stuff yet. Oddly, the vanilla everyone complains about is the only thing I like - it balances some really fruity/cidery flavors I'm getting. I think the off flavors are probably due to my 73-75 degree fermentation temps, and I'm hoping another week or two will help.

I'm planning on this one next but have a question. My sister in law is lactose intolerant. Has anyone tried any substitutes like soy or some other non-fermentable, or is she just going to have to miss out on this one?

neuron555 said:
I'm planning on this one next but have a question. My sister in law is lactose intolerant. Has anyone tried any substitutes like soy or some other non-fermentable, or is she just going to have to miss out on this one?

Go with malto-dextrine. It won't be the same, but close enough. The Lactose is a sugar and, as far as I know, there aren't any soy sugars.

Yuri_Rage said:
So I tapped the keg today - and I'm not sure I like this stuff yet. Oddly, the vanilla everyone complains about is the only thing I like - it balances some really fruity/cidery flavors I'm getting. I think the off flavors are probably due to my 73-75 degree fermentation temps, and I'm hoping another week or two will help.

Yeah, you shouldn't be getting any cider flavors. That sounds like an operator error.

Cheesefood said:
Yeah, you shouldn't be getting any cider flavors. That sounds like an operator error.
Yeah - I think it might've been error on my part. I had a REALLY long lag time (several days!), and I can't rule out some sort of wild yeast or even a mild infection. On the plus side, it gets better by the day - finally getting some head retention and the flavors are blending a little better. I might have to try this one again and get it right.

My batch has been conditioning for a week now and is carbonated to an acceptable level. Still 2 weeks to go.

I hooked it up to the nitro and can report the following:

The lactose powdery sensation is now gone and the beer is starting to mellow out. Just a hint of vanilla. I know its there but others may notice it as a new flavor and won't be able to put thier finger on it. Kind of like when first timers try a wit and aren't able to place corriander and orange until you tell them. This is exactly how I wanted it to go down. If you're keeping score, I did original recipe, added all of the lactose in the boil and 1/2 the vanilla.

I hesitate to write this without a photo. I am at work now, so you'll have to wait.

The nitro head and cascading smoothy goodness is unbeliveably satisfying. I almost tapped one this morning...
so that I could...
take a picture of it for you guys.

I take a break midway through tonites football game and snap a pic...
for documentation purposes of course.

3712-IMG_0020.JPG

3712-IMG_0022.JPG

3712-IMG_0023.JPG

Well, I would have never said anything if you didn't ask, but you did...

I'm thinking I MUST have screwed something up, because mine was undrinkable. It was REALLY sweet and the vanilla was overpowering. You did say to watch the vanilla, but on a first attempt, I went with the exact recipe. I ended up dumping it.

I'd like to try someone else's effort sometime to see if my batch was that far off the mark or if it's just not for me.

rdwj said:
Well, I would have never said anything if you didn't ask, but you did...

I'm thinking I MUST have screwed something up, because mine was undrinkable. It was REALLY sweet and the vanilla was overpowering. You did say to watch the vanilla, but on a first attempt, I went with the exact recipe. I ended up dumping it.

I'd like to try someone else's effort sometime to see if my batch was that far off the mark or if it's just not for me.

Wait wait wait...

I live 20 minutes away, and you DUMPED IT WITHOUT OFFERING???

Tx, take away his membership. He violated HBT law.

Cheesefood said:
Wait wait wait...

I live 20 minutes away, and you DUMPED IT WITHOUT OFFERING???

Tx, take away his membership. He violated HBT law.

Unfortunately, I don't have ANY bottling equipment, or I might have offered. I needed the keg and the tap, ...and it just wasn't getting better. And it don't think you had kegging stuff at the time either.

Honestly though, I think I screwed it up, because it just wasn't good. It looked nice and would have made a nice picture, but it had a REALLY strong vanilla taste and smell.

That's off the stout tap on a nitro blend.
I also used half of the vanilla which was enough for me.

If you peruse the thread... or was it the other thread, I think that you'll find a wide variety in the amount used. You'll also see that there are many types of vanilla used and that contributes to a wide variety of intensity and robustness.

Some used real vanilla, mexican vanilla (which may or may not be real but varies quiet a lot in strenghth) and imitation. Others made vanilla with vanilla beans and either rum or vodka. Mine was made from rum.

I think it better to add too little than too much. Some people got lucky, others like rdwj didn't fare so well.

I like mine alot, alhough this is not the type of beer I normally like. Part of the appeal is doing something different.

Back