What was Kolbach's nominal mash efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
When Kolbach determined that a nominal grist and/or wort buffer was in the range of 32 mEq/kg•pH, what was his nominal mash efficiency?

My thought here is that if Kolbach was lautering out only 70% of the enzyme converted sugars present within the grist then his computed buffer value may differ from someone performing the same experiments which he did, only reaching 85% of the sugars (or visa-versa).

Short version: Is it possible that grist or wort buffering has a relationship to efficiency in some regard?

What you say would require that efficiency select for different components of malt extract. This is probably the case as not everything has the same solubility in water but I couldn't say how great the variations that one could expect might be. Unfortunately I don't have access to Kolbach's original work so I cannot tell you what his process parameters were but I could look up the current standard methodology.

To further my thinking, if only a certain percentage of the inherent sugars embedded within the grist are being liberated into the wort (due to the efficiency of the system and process, as well as the grist components and their weights), are likewise only a certain percentage of the inherent acids embedded within the grist being liberated into the wort?

I doubt that there is a simple 1:1 correlation between efficiency and the measure of the acids liberation into the wort, but I still wonder if there is some sort of correlation relationship (be it linear or non-linear) that needs to be discovered in order to better determine the buffering value of the wort.

Last edited:
Back