Refrigerated Too Early - Fermentation Recoverable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
So, total newbie here. Please be kind. :)

I stuck my first batch of freshly bottled Mr.Beer wheat beer directly into the refrigerator after bottling. I decided to try a bottle (after 7 days), the beer was totally flat. Since bottling from the kit, I've bought a little starter brewing kit with a couple of carboys and all the basic brewing equipment and have done a little more reading on the process and from what I've read, I think I stopped the final fermentation of the primer sugars by over-chilling the yeast.

First question: is this what happened to my beer? :)

Second question is: is this batch recoverable? I've just removed them from the refrigerator and put them in a cool (around 70F) dark place, but I'm wondering if the yeast will resume normal operations once it gets warmed back up.

Thanks!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Yes your cold crashing the bottles indeed halted the bottle fermentation. Bringing them up to 70F was a good first step. I would also suggest giving each bottle a gentle roll to rouse the yeast up off the bottom. Leave them for 3 weeks at 70F to carbonate, chill a couple and enjoy!

Congrats on the first batch!

Thanks! :)

Great to hear that they are not ruined!

I've done exactly as you recommended and can't wait to give them a try in April!

Back