Oldest Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
I have a beer bottle collection and I am about to purge myself of a few as I remodel the man cave.
Some of the bottles [full] date back to the mid-90's.
I actually have forgotten what some of these beers taste like and I am actually considering tasting them before chucking the bottle.

Question: how old was the oldest beer you ever consumed?

I once finished a beer almost 6 years old, that my neighbor had in his garage fridge. He was an old man and thought it was from a recent purchase. hahaha

P.S. I don't plan on drinking entire bottle...just a swig.

Around 2010, or so, a local business had a customer appreciation day. They grilled burgers and had beer and soda on ice in a metal livestock watering tank. Some of the beer was Bud Light, packaged in the cans shown on the right in the picture below. That design hadn't been used since 1995, so the beer was 15 +/- years old.

I had a couple, and as I recall, they were ordorless, colorless and tasteless, just like every other Bud Light I’ve ever tried. :cool:

njpwsPM.jpg

I used to live near a brewpub in Denver that had a 'vintage beer list' where the owner had been cellaring beers since the place opened in the early 70s. Most of the cellar beers were barleywines, bretts/sours and were very cellarable. I spent probably too much of my off hours at this bar and tried 20 or more bottles from this list with friends. Most were quite good, but not all. I recall one night we straight up asked for the oldest beer he could bring us and it was 37 years in the bottle(beer was from 71 and we drank it in 08).

I've had a Thomas Hardy's Ale from 1992 that was about 24 years old at the time of consumption and it was delicious!

Well, I said I am pitching some of the bottles.
I just tried 3, all pretty tasteless.
1. Beck's Octoberfest 2012
2. Shipyard IPA 2010
3. Great Lakes Christmas Ale 2014

I bought a Dragon Stout in 1987 and drank it in 2010. No carbonation, notes of soy sauce. It wasn't horrible, but certainly wasn't the beer I bought in Jamaica on my honeymoon.

The beer did not fare well, but then again I'm no longer the young stud right out of USMC boot camp that bought it. I won't cast aspersions after all that time.

About a year ago, a friend brought over an old "Beers of the World" gift pack he found in his dad's garage. We're talking circa early-1980s (I remember getting one of those for Xmas back in the day). I think it included beers like San Miguel, Red Stripe, Tsingtao and Tuborg. We chilled them and popped them open, one by one. Took a small taste of a few--like flat, flavored water.

Still purging my collection: 7 years old.
A little tart, but highly drinkable. Think it may have been just a by-product of the raspberry.

Back