Jaded Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzoostout

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade my immersion chiller a while ago and contacted Jaded Brewing about their Hornet chiller, which was sold out. They said they were no longer making it, but that they were going to be putting a new replacement chiller on the market and offered to sell me a pre-release version of the Mantis. Based on the review they sent me I decided to pull the trigger. Since this was a new product, I asked if they would waive the shipping fee in exchange for a review and they agreed, so here it is. I pinky swear that my opinion was not influenced by this deal, but I wanted to be up front about it in case it matters to you.

The Mantis mimics the design of many other Jaded chillers in that it has two 25 foot sections of 1/4 inch copper tubes that run in concentric circles and are soldered to a larger single pipe for input and output.
q0EsHfF.jpg

It is approx. 9 inches across and the coils are approx. 4 inches high. It's optimal for 5 or 6 gallon batches. I got the keggle sized version and it fits great.

jqO99k9.jpg

My old 3/8 inch hand made chiller (on the right)would get a batch of wort to 70 degrees or so in 35-45 minutes. The Mantis does this in 16 minutes using approx. 24 gallons of water. I expect much better times/water usage in the fall/winter/spring. Regardless, I'm very happy shaving 15-20 minutes off my time to pitch. It will really add up over time. You can see some detailed data about my chilling times below.

H0F6ze6.jpg

mAl8fdl.jpg

While this might not be as quick as a plate chiller or a counterflow chiller I think it makes up for any difference in the ease of cleaning and sanitizing. Just drop it in the boiling wort for 10-15 minutes to sanitize and dunk it/swirl it around in a bucket filled with water from the chilling session to clean it. I like being able to see that my chiller is clean and not worry about what might be hiding inside.

Overall, I would recommend this to someone who brews 5 gallon batches wholeheartedly. The only criticism that I could post would be the connections. In the brulospher's review he had brass garden hose connections for input/output and my unit came with vinyl tubing with a female garden hose connection for the input and nothing for the output but the tube. This actually works fine for me since I use a kitchen faucet with a hose adapter, but having male and female hose connections soldered to the pipes would allow for more flexibility in set up. I think the dual garden hose set up would possibly cool a little faster since there would be greater throughput of water. I'm pretty sure they would add some for a small fee if asked.

There are some more photos and data here if you are interested.

The Mantis should be up on the Jaded site in the next month or so. As of my last correspondence with Jaded, the standard version will retail for $105, and the keggle sized cooler will be $115.

Anyone know if these guys are still around? I emailed them a few days ago with no response. It also doesn't seem like the page has changed recently.

I had to email a second time and they finally responded this morning after a week. I hope they ship my chiller I paid for.

That doesn't make me feel good about purchasing through them. I have read great things about their chillers, but if it never comes that defeats the point. Luckily I am still waiting on questions to be answered of which one would be the best fit.

-------> see next post, that should negate my original thoughts

Last edited:
We are still here! While we definitely care about answering emails, our main focus is always on getting our customer's orders out (we make every chiller we sell, not resell them from China :ban:). If we notice that someone has ordered and has unanswered questions, we will make sure a response is our top priority before we ship out their order, so that we make sure they are getting the best product for their setup. We get hundreds of emails a month and we really do try our best to get back to everyone as fast as we can.

They have responded to my other questions that I asked today about my setup promptly and my order has shipped. I am sure they were just busy as stated above. My friend has one of their chillers and loves it, so I can't wait for mine! Thanks Jaded!

We are still here! While we definitely care about answering emails, our main focus is always on getting our customer's orders out (we make every chiller we sell, not resell them from China :ban:). If we notice that someone has ordered and has unanswered questions, we will make sure a response is our top priority before we ship out their order, so that we make sure they are getting the best product for their setup. We get hundreds of emails a month and we really do try our best to get back to everyone as fast as we can.

Good to hear! If I was to order a Chinchilla and realize its too small for my needs (although I use a 25 ft IC now and it seems to work OK for my size batches) can I exchange it? I think I can based on your FAQs but wanted to make sure. If I order today are they in stock?

Used the Hydra for the first time today. As advertised it took 5.5 gallons from boiling to 68 with 54 degree tap water in just under 6 minutes! Wow!! Well worth the $$$. Thanks Jaded!

Used my new Mantis today. Worked better than I could have hoped. Well worth the money. I also love the low profile so that the coils are all submerged.

I was able to get to pitching temp (68 degrees) in less than 15 minutes. That is significantly less than my old 25ft standard copper chiller.

I would highly recommend this chiller and the guys at jaded.

Anyone recall how long it took to receive yours after ordering? I'm probably just being impatient, but it's been almost 2 weeks since ordering and 2.5 weeks since emailing twice without a response. I did get the order confirmation, but nothing since.

I'm at 9 calendar daze w/no shipment or status. Site says 5-7 business daze until ship but with experiences like those posted here I am beginning to wonder.

We apologize for the delay in getting your shipment(s) out, as well as the lack of response to e-mails/FB messages/PMs/etc.

Recently, we have had an influx of orders and we are working around the clock to get all of them out as fast as possible. As a company, we decided (right or wrong) to make getting chillers out our main objective.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience!

mine was about 3ish weeks to receive it. I knew it was handmade so i had no worry on it. I've loved my counterflow chiller!

We apologize for the delay in getting your shipment(s) out, as well as the lack of response to e-mails/FB messages/PMs/etc.

Recently, we have had an influx of orders and we are working around the clock to get all of them out as fast as possible. As a company, we decided (right or wrong) to make getting chillers out our main objective.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update and totally understand wanting to get orders out as quickly as possible. I'd rather receive my order sooner rather than an email response.

I also received an email response and shipping confirmation. Thanks!

I received my Hydra today. OMG! This thing is built like a Sherman tank! Outstanding!

Recently it took me about 2 weeks to get my Hydra. E-mail responses were slow spotty, but you gotta understand this isn't a billion dollar company mass producing these. I'd be surprised if they even had commercial office space to make these...

Product quality appears to be very solid though. I custom ordered mine with female NPT threads so it could accept a male QD that i use all over my system. Had a minor issue where some solder had spattered into the female threads but was able to overcome on my own.

Was able to chill 14.7G of wort from boiling to 89F using 74F tap water in 16 minutes. Not as fast as a plate chiller but when you consider cleaning took 2 minutes instead of 45, it's a net positive.

Ordered a Corny Pillar this week and thought it would be here by the weekend. Wish I had read this thread before getting my hopes up. Web site said in stock and 2 day shipping, but I guess I am brewing without it today!

I have one of their beta counterflows and I will say it is definitely worth is. It is a larger version of the Cyclone and it is perfect for whirlpooling and chilling at the same time. There is no restriction in flow and whirlpooling with a pump is all hands off.

Usually 12 gallons of wort in the kettle is chilled to pitching temp in about 15 minutes from strong boil. That also includes a very good whirlpool at the same time with a very productive cold rest. My stand by counterflow is not a match for that.

Awesome work Jaded.:rock:

Another positive order for Jaded Brewing. I was very skeptical, but wanted a good solution with my electric element.

First off, the King Cobra chillers faster than my older counter flow chiller. No, really, it does. Works for my big stock pot.
Second, customer service is awesome. Quick reply to questions, super fast shipping.
Finally, if you're an electric brewer and want an immersion chiller, ask about their Electric Chair. It keeps the chiller off the element. For some reason, that product isn't on the site.

Ordering JaDeD was easy, customer service was helpful, and the 2 products ordered worked better than I expected.

Just placed an order with Jaded yesterday for a custom hydra for my 15 gallon kettle. So far the have been completely professional and very responsive.

I ordered a whirlpool arm and they shipped it out very quickly. On top of that, they gave me a refund because their shipping calculator miscalculated the actual rate. I didn't even notice that nor did I really care but they were adamant on making it right.

Will definitely buy again in the future!

Back