Frigidair 8.7 cf FFFC09M1RW keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
Started my build today. My goal is a relatively simple, yet decent looking keezer with quality components. Picked up a lot of the parts over black Friday weekend from sales. I was going to go with a 7 cf freezer, but as I started putting kegs in I realized things would really be packed in. So I spent the extra coin on the bigger unit, and this freezer will comfortably hold 5 kegs on the floor, maybe 6, and I don't have to deal with having a huge collar to fit kegs on the hump.

The keezer is going to have 4 taps. I'm using Perlick flow control faucets and all stainless where possible. Went with a 20 lb tank, which will be out side of the freezer, and a Taprite dual pressure regulator. One gas line will go to a 4 line distribution block for serving, and the other will be for carbing the keg that's "on deck." I picked up two bulkheads from CHI Company for getting the gas lines thru the collar. For liquid lines I'm using Ultra Barrier Antimicrobial & PVC Free tubing and Ultra Barrier PVC free 5/16" for gas. Almost all connections will be MFL.

Since I didn't have to deal with having anything sit on the hump, I decided to make a 6" collar, with 8" oak on the outside. Then to raise everything up a little bit I'm going to build a 6" base for the keezer to sit on.

Some pics from today. Tomorrow the base gets built.

Forgot to add, the quality time spent with my grandfather in his workshop.......priceless.

Attachments

• freezer.jpg
    freezer.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 957
  • inner collar.jpg
    inner collar.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 941
  • inner collar on freezer.jpg
    inner collar on freezer.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 975
  • inner with lid.jpg
    inner with lid.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 942
  • oak on collar 1.jpg
    oak on collar 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 961
  • oak on collar 2.jpg
    oak on collar 2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 959
Built the base this afternoon. Didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned it, but it will work. Couple pics of the base and collar in place. Got a couple finishing touches to do, then it will be ready to stain.

Attachments

• starting base.jpg
    starting base.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 666
  • collar base1.jpg
    collar base1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 674
  • collar base2.jpg
    collar base2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 641
Built the base this afternoon. Didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned it, but it will work. Couple pics of the base and collar in place. Got a couple finishing touches to do, then it will be ready to stain.

Nice work!
I have a 7 cf keezer up and operational (temp controlled with an inkbird) with a 20lb co2 tank inside running 2 kegs. Still have made any modifications yet (have to open the lid to tap) but will add a collar and everything that goes with it one day soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Got all the wood work built, and the remaining pieces came for all the plumbing. Now the only thing holding me back is the weather. Hasn't been above freezing all this week, and need to stain and varnish the wood.

Wood is stained. Just need to get a couple coats of varnish on it over the next few days. Should be ready to have beer flowing by Christmas.

Attachments

• collar stained.jpg
    collar stained.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 511
  • base stained.jpg
    base stained.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 493
Brought it home this evening. Set everything in place, and wow, it's a little bigger than I was expecting. Now comes the fun part of installing the guts.

Attachments

• keezer1.jpg
    keezer1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 424
Got some work done this afternoon. Used truck camper mounting tape for the collar to freezer seal. Then installed the lid to the collar. Next installed the shanks, taps, and co2 bulkheads. I used 2 of the bulkheads from chicompany. Working on the insulation now.

Attachments

• foam tape.jpg
    foam tape.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 529
  • collar tape.jpg
    collar tape.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 532
  • lid mounted.jpg
    lid mounted.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 540
  • lid mounted 2.jpg
    lid mounted 2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 548
  • gas bulkhead.jpg
    gas bulkhead.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 543
  • bulkheads.jpg
    bulkheads.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 551
Got the insulation cut and in place. I thought I was going to have to glue it in place, but cutting all the pieces so they fit tight, no glue is needed. I like it because it makes removing them if necessary quick and easy. Also installed the co2 manifold and got the main gas line cut and in place. I think I didn't order enough gas hose, so the second gas line might be on hold until I place another order. Included a pic of what I'm upgrading from. Tomorrow I transfer everything from my single tap setup and plug this new one in. :ban:

Attachments

• insulation1.jpg
    insulation1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 515
  • insulation2.jpg
    insulation2.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 517
  • manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 501
  • gastank.jpg
    gastank.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 525
  • single tap.jpg
    single tap.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 532
Coming along nicely.

Why the need for two bulkheads, are you running a temp probe through one? What controller are you using?

Coming along nicely.

Why the need for two bulkheads, are you running a temp probe through one? What controller are you using?

My regulator is a dual pressure, so I'll have two lines going into the keezer. The main one goes to the manifold, then I'll use the other to carb kegs. Or if I ever did a brew that called for a different serving pressure, the second line could be used.

I'm using the Inkbird 308 for a controller.

Got it. Similar to my plan except I'm going to have secondary regulators in the freezer. Are you going to install a fan and/or heat source. I have my temporary keezer on the same controller set to 38F. My temp probe is in a gallon of water. It will usually go down to about 36 after a cool cycle, so I put a small ceramic reptile heater that I had in there. I do not have a fan, but will when i go to the upright freezer.

Yes I plan on having a fan. Not sure I see the point of a heat, trying to keep things cool here, lol. Even if it goes a couple degrees cooler, what's the big deal? Add heat, and it's just that much sooner that the freezer will be kicking back on.

I thought about doing the secondary regulators, but 90% of what I brew are IPA/pale ales, so I don't really have a need for different serving pressures. Plus the wallet was starting to get thin from buying everything. :eek:

$$ goes quick. I see what you mean with the heater, but I keep mine in the garage, so I want something in there just in case it gets too cold.

$$ goes quick. I see what you mean with the heater, but I keep mine in the garage, so I want something in there just in case it gets too cold.

Is your garage attached or standalone? My garage is attached to the house and my freezer would never be below serving temp. If standalone, could be a different story. I would check garage temp on coldest days and see if heating is even necessary before you go through the trouble.

Is your garage attached or standalone? My garage is attached to the house and my freezer would never be below serving temp. If standalone, could be a different story. I would check garage temp on coldest days and see if heating is even necessary before you go through the trouble.

It is attached, but but only by one wall, and my freezer is on an exterior wall. It can get quite cold in there, especially during cold snaps like they are predicting next week. High may hit 20F. I have a thermometer out there, and I've seen it in the High 20s.

This mornings progress. Got the gas and liquid lines cut and installed. Broke down my single tap setup and transferred over to new keezer. Installed the Inkbird, just attached it to the back of the collar, not sure yet if I want it there or not, but it'll do for now. Have a gas leak somewhere, still trying to track that down.

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 441
  • controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 438
Three kegs in, chilling down. Now some small details to take care of, and already have a couple of things that I want to change.

Attachments

• kegs.jpg
    kegs.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 404
Were u able to track down the leak? What are you wanting to change so quickly?

Were u able to track down the leak? What are you wanting to change so quickly?

Yes I found the leak, I forgot to tighten the mfl fittings on the bulkhead.

I had ordered the barbed tailpieces for the shanks, and then found mfl tailpieces. Ordered one to try out, going to get three more to switch out the others.
Where the gas bulkhead fittings are I'm going to add 90 degree elbows on both sides. Will clean up the gas tube bends.
Still not sure what to do with the co2 tank. Right now it's just sitting out in the open. I'm thinking about going thru the wall into the bathroom and keeping it in the unused shower that's now our storage room. But this would take quite a length of hose x2.

Drip tray came today. Went with a Bev Rite 14" x 6". A little pricey, but it's made in USA, and plenty big. Got it attached with a couple magnets. I like this setup, easy off for cleaning. Now just a few more little things before I call the project complete.

Attachments

• drip tray1.jpg
    drip tray1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 326
  • drip tray2.jpg
    drip tray2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 341
Drip tray came today. Went with a Bev Rite 14" x 6". A little pricey, but it's made in USA, and plenty big. Got it attached with a couple magnets. I like this setup, easy off for cleaning. Now just a few more little things before I call the project complete.

Will those magnets hold that with a full pint on the tray?

I'm going with the Intertap faucets, but so glad I sprung for the flow control option. It's a nice feature.

Will those magnets hold that with a full pint on the tray?

I'm going with the Intertap faucets, but so glad I sprung for the flow control option. It's a nice feature.

I have not tried that yet, but they might, they are really strong. I do have more coming, they are long bars. Thought I'd put a couple under the drip tray, and maybe one or two more on top.

Did a little upgrade today. I didn't like how the gas line came off the bulkhead and stuck out away from the wall making the 90 degree bend to the gas manifold, as in the first pic. Took some searching, but found a 90 deg elbow with mfl x ffl fittings at adventures in homebrewing. I also put two of these elbows on the outside where the gas lines go into the keezer to eliminate the same bend and keep them away from the wall.

Attachments

• gaslinebefore.jpg
    gaslinebefore.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 343
  • elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 351
  • gaslineafter.jpg
    gaslineafter.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 356
  • gaslinesoutside.jpg
    gaslinesoutside.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 341
That is a lot cleaner. Did you look at brewhardware.com. I'd be surprised if Bobby didn't have something similar.

I am looking at that same model freezer for my build. Do you think you could get 4 cornies and a fermenter in there or is that too tight?

I am looking at that same model freezer for my build. Do you think you could get 4 cornies and a fermenter in there or is that too tight?

If you built a tall enough collar, no problem. 2 cornies could fit on the hump, 2 on the floor, and lots of room left over for a fermenter. Not using the hump, no way. 5 kegs is going to be tight on the floor. I can only assume this is for a lager? I always hear about people wanting to fit a fermenter in a keezer, but since I don't do lagers I've never needed this.

If you built a tall enough collar, no problem. 2 cornies could fit on the hump, 2 on the floor, and lots of room left over for a fermenter. Not using the hump, no way. 5 kegs is going to be tight on the floor. I can only assume this is for a lager? I always hear about people wanting to fit a fermenter in a keezer, but since I don't do lagers I've never needed this.
Yep, I have no other temp control right now (beyond swamp cooler) so I was considering it for lagering. Thanks for the write up, it will come in real handy in the next few weeks. Any other lessons learned?

Still working on the finishing touches. Turned some wooden tap handles.
handles1.jpg

And some more for variety.
handles2.jpg

Dave-
This build is "on point"! If you don't mind me asking, what would be your estimate for a final build cost? I'm only asking because I don't have a Keezer. I see the prices of the freezers for sale locally, but there is a lot more into it than that. (wood, fittings, tubing, taps, etc)

Thanks!

Dave-
This build is "on point"! If you don't mind me asking, what would be your estimate for a final build cost? I'm only asking because I don't have a Keezer. I see the prices of the freezers for sale locally, but there is a lot more into it than that. (wood, fittings, tubing, taps, etc)

Thanks!

I haven't sat down a added everything up, but not including the kegs I'd say around $800-900+.

Nice build! Working on mine right now and using the same bulkheads and brass elbows for gas connection through the collar.

Quick question. Did you have any trouble connecting the brass elbow to the fitting on the bulkhead? I’m using a nylon washer to get a better seal, but with the washer in the ffl on the brass elbow, it won’t enagage onto the mfl of the bulkhead. If I remove the nylon washer, it will engage and thread. Did you use a nylon washer on the connection?

Nice build! Working on mine right now and using the same bulkheads and brass elbows for gas connection through the collar.

Quick question. Did you have any trouble connecting the brass elbow to the fitting on the bulkhead? I’m using a nylon washer to get a better seal, but with the washer in the ffl on the brass elbow, it won’t enagage onto the mfl of the bulkhead. If I remove the nylon washer, it will engage and thread. Did you use a nylon washer on the connection?

No, no problems connecting. Yes, I used a washer. The washer should sit way down into the ffl fitting, against the mating piece. There should be plenty of thread.

So this what I’m working with. And when I put the washer in the ffl, the end of the bulkhead hits the washer before the threads have a chance to engage. If I take the washer out, it engages just fine. Maybe I have a defective bulkhead or something.
image.jpg

Looks to me like the end of the bulkhead is straight? Hard to tell from the pic. The tip should have the same cone shape as the washer. If it does, have you tried a different washer?

Nice build and nice Tap Handles too!
I’m looking theough these feeds for inspiration and I’m inspired by this build. I think the 90s you put in and out made it much cleaner!
Enjoy
Cheers

Back