Flow meter for water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have an inexpensive flow meter that they use for water that you really like? Im looking to hook one up to my mash tun to measure the volume of strike water transferred over from the HLT prior to mashing.

I think you may find it tough to find one that will take strike temps. I just took a browse of a couple I used plus a few more and 130f was the most I saw. I’m sure they exist, but you’ll probably need to open the wallet pretty wide.

I think you may find it tough to find one that will take strike temps. I just took a browse of a couple I used plus a few more and 130f was the most I saw. I’m sure they exist, but you’ll probably need to open the wallet pretty wide.
Ahhhh yeah I didn't thick about that aspect of it. I'll keep looking and see if anyone comes back with anything

This is the one I'm using on my RIMS system to find the optimal setting for the recirc pump. It also has the cumulative function that you need for your application as well as current flow rate display.

Anyone have an inexpensive flow meter that they use for water that you really like? Im looking to hook one up to my mash tun to measure the volume of strike water transferred over from the HLT prior to mashing.
why cant you just make some marks on the inside of the MLT for gallon and half gallon levels?

yes, we do things because we can but seems like such a simple thing to measure water.
well I dont use mine to measure water but to control and monitor flowrate. It lets me know if im consistently recirculating and sparging at the correct flow rate without dropping out or pumping too quickly which causes channeling and contributed to compacting the grain bed and you guessed it- poor efficiency... it seems to be working for me as I consistently average 91% brewhouse efficiency this way and make very consistent beers.
it also further prevents scorching from stuck flow through my rims although I have flow switches plumbed inline to kill the rims heat if it drops below a certian threshhold as well.

Besides all you need is a simple pot to brew beer but most of us have moved beyond that for whatever reasons we want to justify it to ourselves.. its all where you get your hobby enjoyment and where you want to draw your line in the sand.. for some its the engineering for other the bling to show off or perhaps the cost savings by aquiring beer as cheaply as possible. we all have different driving motivations.

yes, we do things because we can but seems like such a simple thing to measure water.
I didn't go into detail on what I was trying to do. My kettles are marked every half gallon and right now it works perfectly. Ive been reading into the low oxygen brewing website and im wanting to implement some if the techniques.

One of these things is underlet the grain. By doing that, my gallon markers are no longer useful in regards to how much water I've transferred over in the mash tun.

I suppose I could figure out how much liquid is held in my hoses and pump, do the math and figure out how much water has been transferred over by watching the HLT which is also marked every half gallon.

However, because im lazy, I thought a flow meter that told me how much water has traveled through it would be easier.

fwiw, I underlet the prescribed volume of strike water which I heat separately in the BK, while the HLT heats up in parallel. So I fill using the volume markings then simply empty the BK on strike.

But if I heated everything up in the HLT, I'd simply recirculate the liquor which ensures the pump and related tubing are filled. Then it's a simple matter of draining down the HLT referencing its volume marking 'til the strike has been accomplished...

Cheers!

fwiw, I underlet the prescribed volume of strike water which I heat separately in the BK, while the HLT heats up in parallel. So I fill using the volume markings then simply empty the BK on strike.

But if I heated everything up in the HLT, I'd simply recirculate the liquor which ensures the pump and related tubing are filled. Then it's a simple matter of draining down the HLT referencing its volume marking 'til the strike has been accomplished...

Cheers!
Ahhhh good point. I do have the liquor recirculating so that would work. I didn't think of that.

So if it's recirculating and my volume is down to 19 gallons, I'd simply subtract my strike volume from 19 and transfer to the MT until I hit that volume, because the pump and hoses are full already. Do I have that right?

If you want to get anal you can add 2-4% to account for thermal expansion, but yes, that's the short of it :)

Cheers!

[edit] I failed to note that I fill my BK plus its pump and hoses while recirculating so the volume in the kettle is "true". Pretty much the same issue you were worried about...

If you want to get anal you can add 2-4% to account for thermal expansion, but yes, that's the short of it :)

Cheers!

[edit] I failed to note that I fill my BK plus its pump and hoses while recirculating so the volume in the kettle is "true". Pretty much the same issue you were worried about...
Thanks! I will definitely give that a try next time! Im sure there are tons of threads that I can check out but when it comes to underletting, anything special i need to know about?

I can't think of anything special aside from remembering you do need to give the mash one good stir after the strike. I typically wait a couple of minutes to let the mash soak up the strike then do a folding stir for about 15-20 seconds then lid it up again and go from there...

Cheers!

Cheers!
This how I do it

This looks too good to be true! Is it really this awesome (and inexpensive)?
One of these things is underlet the grain. By doing that, my gallon markers are no longer useful in regards to how much water I've transferred over in the mash tun.
All of the devices discussed so far measure flow rate, not flow quantity. A flow rate meter would be rather difficult to operate for measuring water volume; a dipstick in the HLT would be way better and easier for that.

Totalizers do exist, however:
https://www.mcmaster.com/3562k22

Also note: the rotameter posted by @augiedoggy needs to be mounted vertically with flow going upwards.

Last edited:
I wonder hard it would be to measure the strike water by weight and convert it to volume with one or two of these things. Set the mash tun on a custom made scale.
Chinese-Cheap-Price-Mini-Household-Digital-Kitchen-Weight-Scales-Load-Cells.jpg

This looks too good to be true! Is it really this awesome (and inexpensive)?

All of the devices discussed so far measure flow rate, not flow quantity.

So far it's served me well. As for the price, I'm sure you can find a local source willing to sell you the very same thing at twice the price. ;)

BTW it not only measures flow but also quantity. It's really fun to see how much water you have recirculated cumulatively through the RIMS tube at the end of a complete mash schedule.

How are folks getting from 1/2" NPT to 1/2" BSP for those flow meters without creating long lever moments in the plumbing?

Cheers!

I'm under the impression that BSP and NPT are more-or-less compatible at the 1/2" size, especially with the use of tape.

Although I don't know what a long lever moment is.

Last edited:
It simply describes the torque potential as rigid plumbing gets extended. A stubby run is less liable to be displaced by incidental contact vs a longer run. In this case the concern is extending a kettle drain with the meter plus transitional adapters...

Cheers!

giphy (1).gif

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting an extra couple inches in the recirculation loop will cause a problem?

No, this isn't a fluid dynamics thing, it's about potentially damaging a kettle drain by bumping into an excessively long rigid drain path...

Cheers!

No, this isn't a fluid dynamics thing, it's about potentially damaging a kettle drain by bumping into an excessively long rigid drain path...

Cheers!
I see.
I was wondering whether I should attach it to the mash tun drain or the pump. Those are the only places with threads in my loop.
The hardware on my mash tun doesn't currently stick out very far. I can barely even get the ball valve handle into the closed position since it's so tight against my cooler.

If I was going to incorporate this meter (which, tbh, is tickling my inner dweeb ;)) I'd stick an elbow on the output of my MLT drain valve and locate the meter below, ending with the same male camlock I use now, pointing down instead of "out". At least that'd cut the "stick out" down and reduce the odds I'd clip the drain plumbing during a brew day...

Cheers!

I'm under the impression that BSP and NPT are more-or-less compatible at the 1/2" size, especially with the use of tape.

Although I don't know what a long lever moment is.
BSP and NPT are, if you look at their specs, perfectly identical only in the 1/2" size. Every other size is totally incompatible.

BSP and NPT are, if you look at their specs, perfectly identical only in the 1/2" size. Every other size is totally incompatible.
I believe there's still a slight difference in thread diameter at the 1/2" size.

If there is it's so minuscule that you can hand-tighten them with no effort whatsoever.
Thread size and pitch are 100% identical and that's what really matters as even a minor difference in pitch would cause the parts to seize after less than a full turn.

If there is it's so minuscule that you can hand-tighten them with no effort whatsoever.
Thread size and pitch are 100% identical and that's what really matters as even a minor difference in pitch would cause the parts to seize after less than a full turn.
I second this.. I have many plastic bsp 1/2" threaded things paired up with NPT counterparts including all my tan dc pumps I use at home.

Latest posts

Back