Dunkels Weissbier suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I'd love to do a dunkels weissbier later this fall/early winter to have ready by late winter/early spring. Here's what I have so far, suggestions are appreciated!

Dark Wheat Malt (7L) - 50%
Dark Munich Malt (20L) - 45%
CaraWheat (46L) - 5%

1.0oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (4% AA) @ 60min (16.1 IBU)
0.5oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (4% AA) @ 0min

WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast

How cold can you take a weizen yeast typically? What are the drawbacks to fermenting colder? A reduction of the typical banana/clove esters?

Also for the aroma addition at flameout, not really sure how much to do since dunkelweizens don't usually carry much hop aroma.

That's pretty much exactly what I do for my dunkelweizens, except I don't use carawheat and I add about 2 oz of dehusked Carafa III for color. I also only have a 60 minute addition.

I use 3068 and I get a nice balance fermenting at 62. You're right - cooler temps mean less ester production, but I'm not too familiar with 351.

That's pretty much exactly what I do for my dunkelweizens, except I don't use carawheat and I add about 2 oz of dehusked Carafa III for color. I also only have a 60 minute addition.

I use 3068 and I get a nice balance fermenting at 62. You're right - cooler temps mean less ester production, but I'm not too familiar with 351.

Ahh ok, I usually try and avoid caramel/crystal malts, but I know a little bit of it is correct to the style... I might look into a smaller amount of carafa then.

I think 351 is similar to the wyeast 3068 weihenstephan strain. I typically stick with White Labs because that's what my lhbs carries.

Back