Cholula wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
Im one of those guys that likes to go against the grain with everything. You know? Try making things that may or may not have been tried before. So far in my short time making wine i have done a blackberry, blueberry, and pineapple wine. I have done a hard apple, ginger apple, mixed berry, and pineapple cider. Also done a pineapple double ipa. I was talking to a coworker who is big on spicy foods. He wants me to try developing a wine with cholula sauce as the base. Does anyone think this can be done? If so, any ideas of what i would add with it?

From the top of my head cholula sauce has vinegar, it may or may not be a flavor you want in your beer.
You could use the chilis used to make cholula sauce for the taste and spiciness... (sp?)
HTH

Uhhh...no. You could try a wine that will end up fermenting into something spicy like Cholula, but you can't start with Cholula. It is basically vinegar (which is wine that has already been fermented and converted to acid) and salt.

I love edgy beers / wines, but my first rule is they have to primarily have the flavor of the base product. Taking an IPA and adding habaneros until it is so hot you can't taste the hops may be creative, but it is no longer an IPA, or IMO a beer, if it doesn't have beer flavor. Same with wine.

So maybe a tomatoe wne with the peppers (pequin, arbols) from cholua in it? Maybe use some dehydrated tomatoes to "dry tomatoe" it? Would heirlooms give it a more authentic flavor?

I think you could create something original and delicious. One of my very favorite beers is Left Hand Fade to black- balanced, fantastic, absolutely astounding in complexity and craftsmanship.

Not a wine, but Cholula wine reminded me of this:
Sriracha_Stout.png

Thank you for the advice everyone. Never really thought about starting it with a tomato base. Then i can add the peppers to the secondary. If i make a small batch, what do i have to lose right?

Ive never heard of the rogue sriracha beer. Where can you find this?

Ooooo now I want to make something like a salsa wine.

Tomato wine from Jack Keller as the base. Add some mild and hot peppers in primary as well, maybe half an onion.

Then I could maybe dry-cilantro it in secondary it?

All else fails it'll be a killer marinade.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm intrigued and we could bounce some ideas off each other.

Here's what I'm thinking for my "spicy salsa wine"

4 lbs fresh, ripe red tomatoes
1/2-1 whole Vidalia onion
1 bell pepper
Hot peppers(amounts and varieties tbd)
2 lbs granulated sugar
3-1/2 qts water
2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/8 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 crushed Campden tablet

For the hot chilies I'm not what varieties I want to use yet.

I think what your friend wants is a bloody mary.

Actually, I could go for one too :D

It's like all those people at Starbucks. If you really want an ice cream sunday or milk shake, just go order that.

Ok so heres what im thinking. I will do a tomato base wine in the primary. Next i will syphon into secodary on top of dried pequin and arbol chili peppers. That way it will be the closest thing to Cholula.

My only recommendation if you are looking for the Sriracha beer is - DON'T. Rogue has done some interesting things lately, but most of them are better in concept than execution.

Yeah, I have no desire to drink Sriracha beer. If I did, I would just squirt some into my beer. But the bottle looks darn cool! B)

Yeah, im not thinking of even imagining drinking any hot sauce kind of beer. I would certainly try it, but not go to it haha! A friend of mine is an avid Cholula fan. So i told him i would try making a wine to try and resemble it

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm intrigued and we could bounce some ideas off each other.

Here's what I'm thinking for my "spicy salsa wine"

4 lbs fresh, ripe red tomatoes
1/2-1 whole Vidalia onion
1 bell pepper
Hot peppers(amounts and varieties tbd)
2 lbs granulated sugar
3-1/2 qts water
2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/8 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 crushed Campden tablet

For the hot chilies I'm not what varieties I want to use yet.

have never made tomato wine...talking to folks who have say it's more of white wine flavor...the tomato does not carry through real strong.

The same can not be said for jalapeno pepper wine which I'm told can be pretty hot! Perhaps you make pepper wine and add it to your tomato juice...which kinda gets you back to making Bloody Mary's again.

Hmmm... Maybe there is a way to maintain a little tomato flavor? Do you think back sweetening would do anything? When i give it a go, i will let you guys know what i come up with.

Yeah a guy i know actually wants this to drink. Im thinking it would make a great cooking wine

Back