Blackberry Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
Hello all,

We have a field that has tons of blackberries. Anyone have a good recipe for blackberry wine? I’ve made hard apple cider and brew beer, but this will be my first attempt at a berry wine. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos on it, but the recipes are imprecise and questionable. Thanks!

I made three 1 gallon batches of blackberry wine last year, bottled in November, so I'm trying to hold onto 18 bottles for at least 9 months maturing.
I had a little taste test when I bottled them, and they were nice, especially the third batch which I oaked, but I was surprised at the subtlety of the Blackberry flavour. At that stage they tasted pretty much like any red wine made from grapes, and if I'd given a blind taste test to someone else they'd probably not have realised it was made from Blackberries. Do you find the Blackberry flavour improves with age, Yooper?

Plenty of good answers, but simply stated, mash the blackberries to get the juice, then use the hydrometer to see how much sugar you'll need to add to hit your SG. Blackberries are pretty good in their own right, and don't need much to make a good wine.

I have wild blackberries growing in the middle of my yard. I use my mower to keep the brambles growing in a long strip so I can pick 'em. If you don't keep it mowed back, you'll end up with a 10' wide bramble and you won't be able to pick most of the berries.

Back