first all grain.... a 20gal Heather Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
got together with some friends to do a big batch, my first all grain

the supplies
DSCN0721.JPG

adding the grain
IMG_6149.jpg

the mash
IMG_61561.jpg

hot break
IMG_6222.jpg

hops and heather addition
IMG_6259.jpg

I am impressed! 20 gal. first time all grain...nice job.

1. what is the large stainless vessel in the background?
2. do i see a tennis raquet mash paddle?

Inline thermo, chest ferminator, new XL propane tank, all good!

I think you maxed out that kettle, hot break above the rim like a tightrope act. That cooler mash tun is huuuge, probably could mash a couple sacks w/ that thing.

ha ha no the raquet is actually a bug zapper, and that large stainless steel vessel is a industrial sized soup pot. it's large enough to house a 60 gallon boil, but the eletrical system on it needs to be replaced.

The gain was coarsely ground and as a result the mash effency was a bit less. We ended up about .06 under our estimated gravity next time i'll run the grain though the mill second time and the brew shop. We didn't use fermcap or anything other than the hops, water, yeast, malt, and heather. Fermented 5 gal of wort in each 6.5gal carboy. All in all i am very excited about this beer.

I am impressed! 20 gal. first time all grain...nice job.

Yeah, as wilserbrewer said. That's an impressive feat for your first all grain. I've been brewing all grain for about 4 years and the largest I've ever made was a 10 gallon, but that's also due to my equipment.

Latest posts

Back