BTP (mac) mash set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
I am a brand new BTP user and was starting to figure out how to set up the steps for batch sparging in a cooler. I realized that I am shortly going to switch to a Recirculating Mash HEX design on a keggle and really have not thought out how that is going to effect how I brew and what my steps & procedures will change to.

Any help on hashing this out would be appreciated. As an example brew my favorite is an I2PA which I usually use 168F (173F into cooler and let cool down) to get a 153F mash temp for 1 hour. Then usually 2 sparges of 185F or so to collect enough wort.

The software has a calibration window for any vessel you add. It requires adding water at a fixed temp and then measuring the new temps over fixed times.

Whether you do that or not, you'll still need to setup a mash/sparge schedule which I describe in these videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9xuSQrfEM]YouTube - Beer Tools Pro 1.5 Basic Setup Tutorial[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOjO29cNME]YouTube - Beer Tools Pro Batch Sparge Schedule[/ame]

This question kind of applies, sorry about the hijack. Does btp allow you to do all the things on Bobby's videos without being a gold member? What does the gold membership actually do? and is it worth it? I looked at their website and read, but you guys seem to have a better way to explain things. I am new to all grain and brew calculators. Thanks for the help!

samc, do you have the gold membership? Do you think it would be worth buying? Thanks Ron

samc, do you have the gold membership? Do you think it would be worth buying? Thanks Ron

I just purchased BTP with Gold - have yet to use the additional features as I am just setting up the steps, etc. With the spring sale it was $27.95

The gold thing is about being able to store/download recipes off the server which I feel is extremely hit or miss. I honestly don't trust any posted recipes because there's no qualifier. I trust the posted recipes on HBT just a touch more than that unless there has been verification of quality. I just use the software as is.

Thanks Bobby, Without the gold thing, can you still store recipes on the program it self?

The gold membership is handy for doing recipe tweaks on the fly (like at work ;) ), or if you need to print a recipe when you do not have access to your pc/laptop etc. I've used it when I was at the LHBS and wanted to pick up extra ingredients due to a sale. You can also do much more with BTP then with the gold membership, the Gold, online program, is really just a recipe builder/analyzer. And yes can save recipes with just BTP.

You can get the 3 month subscription for like $6 if you want to try it out.

Back