Weizen India Pale Ale (Braufactum Clone Attempt #1)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300)
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 28
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days at 62, ramp up to 70 degrees for an additional 7 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65 degrees
Tasting Notes: Starts out Banana/Oaky finishes Grapefruit with the smoothness of a weizen

Ingredients
0.5 Lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.5 Lbs Munich Malt
0.5 Lbs Wheat Malt
7 Lbs Wheat LME
2.5 oz Cascade Hops
2 oz Magnum Hops

1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Magnum 60 min

0.5 oz Cascade 30 min

1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz Magnum 5 min

Ferment in the Primary starting at ~ 60 degrees and ramp up to 70 degrees over the course of 14 days.

Place in the secondary for 10-14 days then rack/keg

This is my first attempt at the Braufactum Indra Clone, which I had while at the Disney Food and Wine festival, and besides then its only sold in Germany... I currently have it in my Secondary, and have been "testing it" constantly because it is delicious...

So I noticed that the beer had been tasting too banana-e, probably because I had it to warm in the secondary. To remedy this, I just added a half ounce of cascade for dry hopping. After 1 day the aroma has gone from banana to that cascade citrus/pine aroma, I have yet to taste it, as I have been tasting it quite frequently, and I want some post carbonation.

Here is an image of it pre-carbonation/head, its more of a cask ale at this point, however today was brew day and if I didn't have a home brew while brewing what kind of brew day would that be?

20120325_145341.jpg

Here it is fully carbed, its surprising how big of a difference three right amount of carbonation makes

ForumRunner_20120405_103640.jpg

Back