Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this beer was the inspiration for my corona rip off and holy **** balls, it is just like drinking the same thing.

my recipe was:

85% 2 row
15% instant polenta (or flaked maize)
galena at 60 mins to 17ibu
1.030 - 1.000
us-05 at 60f with amylase enzyme added with yeast at primary
bottled carbonated to about 2.8

dunk a lemon or lime slice in and you can't tell the difference. amazing!!!!

thanks for the inspiration mate.

You're most certainly welcome. Glad you have a good quaffer. Cheers!

I found it was the corn I didn't like but bu adding rice it balanced

I just kegged a rice version, haven't tasted it yet cold and carbonated.

It's been home all alone for the whole weekend. Stuck in the Keezer getting gassed. I'm going have to check-in on it tomorrow.

I just kegged a rice version, haven't tasted it yet cold and carbonated.

It's been home all alone for the whole weekend. Stuck in the Keezer getting gassed. I'm going have to check-in on it tomorrow.

I did a 2.5g batch and just the corn left an off flavor. Adding an equal amount of rice not only boosted the content but balanced out the sharp corn flavor that was in the beer I did not like. This ended up being closer to BM's Cream of Three Crops when I was done with it but all in all a good beer :)

So, what you made was Miller Lite with a hop flavor profile. Or a truely light beer with some triple hop taste.

I made this recipe out of annoyance of the Miller Lite triple hopped beer commercials during March Madness a few years back.

It doesn't do justice to call it a Miller Lite clone, even done with German or Czech hops. The base recipe without the two other additions is spot on Miller Lite though.

What you have is a truly unique beer that is hard to find commercially. Hence why we brew beer.

Cheers!

3rd batch of this went to secondary today. Down to 1.006. Everything fine and on schedule.

We like this recipe so much I started a cascade plant. It's 4" now and in another month I will put it out when all threat of frost is past. If all goes well, I should have a modest crop this fall. In anticipation of brewing with my own hops this fall , I plan on making batch 4 next week using whole cascade for the first hops addition. I have purchased Hop Union Cascade whole hops.

My question(s):
Your best estimate as to the amount to be added and at how many minutes into the boil for this recipe? Any other advice?

Thanks

The best thing to do is calculate the addition amount, based on the alpha acid (AA) percentage so you can hit the target bitterness or IBU. Use the AA that's on the hop package.

I think the recipe calls for a 16-18 target IBU.

Try http://www.malt.io

This calculator works well IMHO.

When you have home grown hops, keep the fresh ones for dry hopping or late additions. I say this because you don't know the AA to bitter properly or accurately, and they will be really awesome for aroma. To bitter with them would be a waste. So on plan making lots pale ales or some really good amber.

Try my House Amber.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398061113.876371.jpg
Thanks for the tasty recipe. I'll look to do this again before it gets warm here again in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Finally got a chance to brew this. Made it with Saaz for all my BMC friends. Just added the enzyme 2 days ago and still have no action really, just very slow bubbles out the airlock (about 1 every couple minutes). Smelled and tasted right going in though, so we'll see.

16 days ago I brew my version of this.

37% MarisOtter
32% ProAnt Free Ale
13% Flaked Corn
18% Flaked Rice
Cascade hops (60,15,10mins)
SafAle US05

I cooled the wort to 17°C before pitching (12h in refrigirator set at 17°C, stc1000 with custom firmware) rehydrated US05, let it ferment for 4days then raise to 20° and move to secondary.
I had massive cake of trub and wife did noted wet cardboard when tasting the beer.
Add amylase, wait 10days then crash down to 4°C, keg and bring down to -1°.

Amylase extract in secondary (1ml for 20litres)
From 3.5% to 4.5% in about 6days in secondary (it did take 3-5 days for the amylase to start making noticable "magic"), FG 1.0038.

It tastes clean, a hint of the cascade on the nose and when it is cold and carbed the wet cardboard taste is "gone".

Big thanks to the OP!
This is a great summer brew :) :mug:

Finally got a chance to brew this. Made it with Saaz for all my BMC friends. Just added the enzyme 2 days ago and still have no action really, just very slow bubbles out the airlock (about 1 every couple minutes). Smelled and tasted right going in though, so we'll see.

You need time to let the AE do it's thing. AE will dry it out and then it'll need some cold conditioning after its carbed.

Quick question about the use of amalyse enzyme. I added 3/4 of a tsp yesterday when I transferred to secondary. The gravity matched what you had (1.009), however today, when I checked on it there was no progress, so I added another 1/2 tsp. How long does it take to start to see some progress from the use of AE in the secondary? My initial fermentation chamber, err closet, was a little warm (~78), could that have impacted the ability to get down to around 1.000? Or, do I just need to wait a little longer? It has only been in secondary for 24 hours. Thanks!

Definitely wait longer. I think two weeks. In a day or two place a flashlight up against the carboy to look for bubbles. They will be tiny. I would NOT add more AE. Give it some time for it to work.

Where's the vienna, the munich, the crystals/cara's, victory, melanoiden? For heavens sake, where's the flavor dude?

Sorry if off base. But seriously, where's...

Where's the vienna, the munich, the crystals/cara's, victory, melanoiden? For heavens sake, where's the flavor dude?

Sorry if off base. But seriously, where's...

Duh, all that malt is not in this beer. We're talking light American beer. Little malt distinction with subtle hop additions; at 60, 5 & dry. This is a slightly different version of lite with some more hops (an attempt at hop flavor) but still sticking to the style guidelines.

Don't waste your time overstating the obvious. It's like spamming this thread. To go on about this is just being troll.

I think triple hopped means the hops get re-used for three batches. Dry goes to flavor on 2nd batch and flavor goes to bitter.

Schlenkerla thanks for the recipe. 14 days after the racking to the secondary on the amylayse enzyme would be the 30th for me. Trouble is I will not be be around so I could bottle on the 28th - 12 days, or wait until after the 5th - much longer than 14 days. My gravity was 1.008 before racking - what do you think?

Schlenkerla thanks for the recipe. 14 days after the racking to the secondary on the amylayse enzyme would be the 30th for me. Trouble is I will not be be around so I could bottle on the 28th - 12 days, or wait until after the 5th - much longer than 14 days. My gravity was 1.008 before racking - what do you think?

Waiting longer is never a problem with this beer. That's what I'd do, let crank down if it can.

Waiting longer is never a problem with this beer. That's what I'd do, let crank down if it can.

Perfect thanks. That's more convenient anyways. Does temp matter with amylase enzyme? Its not like yeast as far as holding at a certain temp is it? I was holding it at 68 with a heater and didn't think it would matter so I turned it off. Its been around 64

Marking this thread. My dad is a big Miller light fan and my other beers have been "too much beer" for him :eyeroll:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Almost 3 weeks on 1 tsp of Amylase Enzyme only dropped it from 1.008 to 1.006. what did I do wrong?

Almost 3 weeks on 1 tsp of Amylase Enzyme only dropped it from 1.008 to 1.006. what did I do wrong?

Most of the time its amylase enzyme thats not working. Are you using a high attenuating yeast? US-O5 is what I usually use. That could be the next likely reason.

Yeast Strain Chart

You will still have a very drinkable beer none the less.

Most of the time its amylase enzyme thats not working. Are you using a high attenuating yeast? US-O5 is what I usually use. That could be the next likely reason.

Yeast Strain Chart

You will still have a very drinkable beer none the less.
Yes I used S 05. Bottled yesterday so as long as the enzyme doesn't decide to kick in now I'm good

I've brewed this with multiple small modifications and really like them all.

I only used the amylase enzyme on the 1st batch and am still able to finish at 1.001-.02.

I will say making sure your water PH is important and checking for full conversion is critical. I've mashed this for 2 hours a couple times and then raised to a mashout. Also, don't sparge through with the entire volume of water.

Even though force carbonating, this beer is better after 2 weeks in the keg. I can have it crystal clear in about 2-1/2 weeks and start drinking it then, but the second keg is always better.:D

Brew On!
Bull

Thanks for the tips.

Not to re-hash this - but why do you think my amylase enzyme did not work with S-05.? just trying to understand

Thanks for the tips.

Not to re-hash this - but why do you think my amylase enzyme did not work with S-05.? just trying to understand
Did you oxygenate the wort before you pitched? Since I been using oxygen pre-fermentation I've noticed all my brews gravity finishing lower than before (method used on 6 brews).

Did you oxygenate the wort before you pitched? Since I been using oxygen pre-fermentation I've noticed all my brews gravity finishing lower than before (method used on 6 brews).

Yep with O2. I the S05 did good just not the enzyme

Thanks for the tips.

I don't why, maybe age or storage temps that it may have saw before you purchased it. This is just speculation on my part.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the enzyme could say but maybe it was just "done"...

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the enzyme could say but maybe it was just "done"...

I'd post your question in the Techniques or General forum sections. I bet a chemist or biologist would know why...

There's not enough of those folks browsing in a Miller Lite thread. If you do this please post a link here. Your question has come up before. Sorry Im not able to provide more help.

FWIW - My BIL is a bio-chemist, however not a brewer. I'll ask him maybe he will have an answer. I'm guessing he is going to say something or a condition rendered it in effective. I recall my chemistry class where we heated an enzyme to stop the reaction.

I'd post your question in the Techniques or General forum sections. I bet a chemist or biologist would know why...

There's not enough of those folks browsing in a Miller Lite thread. If you do this please post a link here. Your question has come up before. Sorry Im not able to provide more help.

FWIW - My BIL is a bio-chemist, however not a brewer. I'll ask him maybe he will have an answer. I'm guessing he is going to say something or a condition rendered it in effective. I recall my chemistry class where we heated an enzyme to stop the reaction.

I'll try to do that. One thing I did that was a little different was I missed my mash temp, it sat for about 1/2 hour at 144F. So at 1/2 hour I pulled (nearly all since it was such a small mash amount) of the wort out, heated on the stove - and returned it to the mash tun for an hour at 147F. I actually did this TWICE because I was still too low the first time. A decoction mash! I wasn't sure what the results of that would be.

My BIL doesn't know enough to render a judgement. Like I said before, odds are the AE was no good. I'd keep it, and to add to a first strike on your next AG batch.

my batch of this clone is finally alive..... yay so proud of it... came out darn good! I used safale 05 instead of a lager yeast .... it was a bit dark- I was impatient-- at first 9 days in the bottle was not long enough.. seems like 20 days is best

beerlesson.jpg

doublehaul-usually in decoctions you remove the thick part of the mash & bring it to a boil. usually around a third of the volume, but that should be calculated from temperatures.

Wow I never seen it go from dark to light like that. Is that from the recipe from page 1?

Yep. From the original recipe. Followed it to the letter. I think bottle aging is important. Going to give all my brews 20 days in the bottle from now on. The second bottle was in the fridge five days.

I froze some accidentally toooo. But some in the back of my fridge.

They were yummy!

Latest posts

Back