Lambic Sorbet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the bunnay

Reaction score
Tenchiro & I made sorbet, and oh Man what sorbet it was.
2683979762_2600f1fb40.jpg

ingredients: 3c. mixed berries (1pt. raspberries, 1pt blackberries & a few strawberries),
lindeman's kriek lambic (the recipe that inspired us was made with the framboise,
but what can i say, i'm a cherry lambic girl.), 0.25c. honey (the bear shaped container is key)
& 0.5c. sugar.

2683162873_fe75cce380.jpg

Tenchiro makes a syrup of the honey, sugar and 0.25c. water.

2683166837_f649e3e91b.jpg

puree the fruit in a food processor and strain through a sieve into a bowl
(to get rid of most of the seeds). stir in the cooled syrup and 1c. of the lambic

2683167481_6973e93bed.jpg

hmm... what Ever to do with the rest of the lambic?

2683168881_090936140d.jpg

pour the mix into your pre-chilled ice cream freezer. we had to do this in two
batches as our 1 quart capacity little dealie only holds 0.5 quart of liquid.
add the paddle, cover & freeze for ca. 30mins until slushy.

2683435803_d75daa5112.jpg

scrape into a pre chilled container, here we used a 1 quart covered pyrex bowl,
and freeze 3-4 hours or until solid. we left it overnight. we're lazy like that.

2685330680_9849a1d013.jpg

serve and enjoy!
for serious, this stuff it outStanding. and not too difficult. it has a delicate texture...
something between a sorbet and a gratina. i think this is going to become a staple
of ours in various lambic/fruit combos. the sourness of the lambic rounds out the
sweetness of the fruit Wonderfully. we ate ours this morning. breakfast of champions.

I was going to ask if it was more like gratina than sorbet. Sounds delicious. I'll have to put this on the Must Try list.

I was going to ask if it was more like gratina than sorbet. Sounds delicious. I'll have to put this on the Must Try list.

If you increase the sugar/honey content it will approach more of a smooth sorbet texture, but I think too much sugar overpowers the sourness of the lambic. I was really happy with the result using the volumes in our recipe.

I'll probably use less sugar and honey when I do it, if I'm using Lindmanns. I find them to be a little over sweetened already.

If I'm using my own, that looks like it would be about the right amount.

Yeah, it will totally depend on the sweetness of your lambic and the sweetness of your fruit. If you don't mind more of an "italian ice" texture you can knock the sugar way down but it's always a balance between the sweetness and the mouth feel.

Back