Grilled Root Veg ... Who knew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Following up on this thread,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/grilled-brussels-sprouts-who-knew-421382/

Tonight I got a couple turnips, some beets, and some little, late-harvest carrots. The carrots were about 1/2 inch thick, so I sliced the turnips and beets about the same thickness. Tossed them all in olive oil, Kosher salt, and fresh-ground pepper, and onto the grill they all went. Big pieces went over the direct heat, and the smaller pieces went over the more indirect heat. Paired the veg with some nice Atlantic salmon fillets.

Holy smokes, this stuff was awesome. The beets were quite sweet. The carrots less so, but they have a flavor that goes well with the saltiness and smokiness.

The turnips were an especially nice surprise. Very robust flavor, very vegetable-y and slightly bitter (a nice pair with the IPA I'm drinking with it.)

I think this combo is going to make its way into Thanksgiving. The bitter turnips paired with the sweet beets are especially good. Anyway, that's all. Cheers!

Best ever grilled root vegetable- golden beets.

I loved golden beets, brushed with a bit of olive oil and then grilled with only a bit of salt and pepper.

Mixing that with other veggies, like yukon golds and carrots from the garden, only made it better.

Turnips? Sorry, I tried to love them. I did. But I couldn't.

Ooh ^^ . I like the idea of adding Yukon Gold potatoes. Maybe with some onion and a few cloves of garlic. Mmmm ... The wheels are a'turnin'!

All great choices. Root veggies are perfect in the fall and winter. Parsnips are great too, like a sweeter carrot.

SWMBO brought home some nice kholrabi recently. Might have to try that on the grill too!

All great choices. Root veggies are perfect in the fall and winter. Parsnips are great too, like a sweeter carrot.

Yes, parsnips too! I don't have any this year, but if you can find them, do it!

A mix of yukon golds, parsnips, carrots, and golden beets, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt on the grill.

The one thing we do is to microwave the potatoes about half cooked, as they take longer to cook than the others. So, cook the potatoes about 1/2 way, and then mix up the rest of the root veggies with them with brush/spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper on the grill. Oh, my gosh.

I had veggie haters begging for more.

Another good thing to add (to tie this all together) is brussel sprouts. They go GREAT in this!

^^

homer.drool_.jpg

Just bought brussel sprouts this week to try grilled. Wife was dubious, but we'll see. Good advice on the golden beets. I'll have to try that as described.

I never thought to nuke the taters till half cooked before tossin them in the pit. I like mine smoked a lil. And caramelized brussel sprouts looked good on Triple D.

Back