Replacing March Pump cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCoastBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the housing on their March 809 pump to install a new cord? I'm looking to add a longer cord to mine but wanted to figure out what it entailed before I dismantled a working pump.

Thanks for the help.:mug:

you could get an extension cord and tape it on permently, or cut the plug off and attach a few more feet plus a new plug.

I've never seen inside one (because I don't own one). It may be tricky, due to many seals and such.

It's probably three 1/4" spade plugs. Pull the cover off and look. If it looks easy, go for it. If it looks like hell close it back up and go for option a above

don't take it apart! I did once, and it never worked right, and then quit a couple of months later. The model I had at work had the wire running into the motor itself, and did not have any spade plugs......Cutting off the plug and extending the wires is the easiest solution.

I emailed March Pump just to expand upon what HBRunner had posted and this is the response I received from March:

"Unfortunately we buy these motors from an outside vendor (Fasco Motors) so we wouldn't really know anything about them. I can tell you from taking these motors apart that unless you do motor repairs I would not try and replace the cord from the inside of the motor only because it is terminated inside the coil assembly and next to impossible to replace unless you have the right press's and punches."

Definitely going the route of splicing the cord...

I briefly contemplated doing this.

I decided to splice the cord inside a 1 gange waterproof electrical box with a waterproof switch. Now I can switch the pump off without running 20 feet to the outlet.

Back