My stir plate, under $10.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
Here's my new stirplate. Big thanks to Anthony_Lopez and his thread here. I used his exact wiring diagram, but was able to repurpose some household items to get the total bill for my build under $10.

Parts List:
(items I already had)
1 Computer Fan
1 Hard Drive Magnet
1 plastic shoe box
1 cell phone power supply
4 bolts and nuts to mount fan
rubber spacers (old rubber feet off something)
1 chicken head knob

(things I had to buy)
1 25 ohm pot
1 switch
1 1.5" steel washer
Total : $9.

It's not the prettiest thing, but it gets the job done and can hold a 5L flask.

img0507h.jpg

img0508y.jpg

img0509y.jpg

Very nice! I've been meaning to make a stir-plate as I recently came upon a really nice stir bar, so now I'm going to go the KISS method and do something similar to your design.

Question: Are hard drive magnets good strong ones or would I be better off with one from an old speaker?

Very nice! I've been meaning to make a stir-plate as I recently came upon a really nice stir bar, so now I'm going to go the KISS method and do something similar to your design.

Question: Are hard drive magnets good strong ones or would I be better off with one from an old speaker?

The HD magnets are quite strong. Plus it's fun bashing an old hard drive open. I didnt have the proper star shaped bit for the casing screws...so I had to use the hammer :rockin:

Ooo sounds like fun. I know what I'm doing this weekend :rockin:

has anyone ever used an ultrasonic to use as a stir plate? I have an old one from harbor freight I think...I know it shoots particles all over the place...be interesting to see

Simple and effective. I love my and encourage everyone to take the 1.5 out of your day to make one.

Thanks for sharing

CHEERS

Latest posts

Back