Hopefully not just your average Kegerator (Keezer) Build Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
I figured I would make a build thread, considering this project is all but just about done, I didn't want to leave anyone hanging for too long waiting on more pictures. The execution turned out perfectly and the result is not just a more than functional kegerator but a nice piece of furniture for the house. The design ideas were mine but I have to give the majority of the carpentry work to my father for making it all come out perfect.

Started with a 7.2 Cubic Foot chest freezer and ditched the lid... I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Kegeratorbuild by jmw5107, on Flickr

Kegeratorbuild-2 by jmw5107, on Flickr

Kegeratorbuild-3 by jmw5107, on Flickr

checking the aesthetics

Kegeratorbuild-17 by jmw5107, on Flickr

Kegeratorbuild-18 by jmw5107, on Flickr

The trim has all been sanded and poly'd, the lid has also been waxed for a hard satin finish, it really is beautiful...

tested the love controller and it works beautifully, freezer holds temperature despite a few more areas needing some gasket work.

no more pictures at the moment but it will be wrapped up next weekend when we finish running the lines.

finished result will be 6 taps, 2 pressures, 5 perlick faucets and 1 standard faucet (for soda dispensing), tank will be located outside the unit using a quick disconnect style setup

Wow. If your brewing craftsmanship is anywhere close to on par with that, you have a winning combo. Well done. And thank you for high quality pictures!

Thanks! I finally have all the pieces on order for everything I need. The only thing I'm questioning is the faucets. I've got 5 perlick and on just normal Stainless (for the soda) but I have a feeling it's going to look funny with one oddball faucet

WOW! That's TOO nice - I'd be afraid to get near it after I've been drinking for fear marring it! Seriously nice craftsmanship - well done!!!:mug:

Thats a beautiful keezer!! And to build it with Dad? I don't think any two things could be as perfect! :mug::mug:

Great work on the concept and the execution. I love the copper inlays.

Oh, and you've already got this much invested. Why cheap out on $20 for the extra faucet? Go all perlicks!

Great work on the concept and the execution. I love the copper inlays.

Oh, and you've already got this much invested. Why cheap out on $20 for the extra faucet? Go all perlicks!

Well the original idea was to only go four taps with the possibility for the two more expansion. Then in the middle of building it we decided on just doing six, one of which was going to be dedicated to soda for my sister who doesn't drink alcohol and I didn't want to run sticky soda syrups through a nice perlick faucet....but now I'm reconsidering

Hmm, I have 3 or 4 places I could go right now and pick up some stainless perlick's. Of course, the homebrew shops are overpriced (as always), I got mine at a restaurant supply store.

Called every home brew supply and restaurant supplier in ct and southern/western mass and no one has any stainless perlicks. I only found one place that had a bunch of the chrome ones but that won't do me any good.... Womp womp womp

Any reason that you can't just order some faucets from an online vendor?

Looks like I am going to have to but it feels like I have been placing online orders just about every day for this and that and the such. About 7 different orders from 4 different places in the last two weeks to be exact...so I was just trying to get my hands on one more faucet to avoid shipping charges and be done

Looks good, I really liked everything until I saw the Bruins logo, hope you run your worst beer through that one.:drunk:

Just 2 words......Freakin Awesome!

Thank you

Looks good, I really liked everything until I saw the Bruins logo, hope you run your worst beer through that one.:drunk:

I see what you did there :drunk: don't be jelly cause you had a few knuckleheads burn your city to the ground in the wake of a monumental loss. (for what it's worth that riot was going to take place the same way had you won or loss, it didn't matter)

We didn't do so hot this year anyways...but then again losing to the kings can't feel good either....I guess we both have a mutual distaste for LA...so let's stick with that. The enemy of my enemy is my friend :tank:

( my own ipa recipe will be going through that tap...calling it the basement bruin ipa)

just finished running all of the gas lines (except the main line which i will need the fitting that being delivered monday) and all my liquid lines.

as of right now all connections are held on with PEX compression clamps, for a little bit of a cleaner looker over using regular hose clamps.

i'm waiting to get it all home before running the last piece of gasket to seal the lid and bottom, as well as a little clear silicone to bead around the frame and the top of the freezer to act as a little more insulation.

The unit has been moved to CT and reassembled.

Ran the gasket for the lid and all the last lines that were needed.

Having some issues with the whole thing holding temperature. I don't really trust the probe for the love controller all too much. Also it seems like I am having some circulation problems. Originally the fan installed moved the air just fine. But now that there are 6 kegs in the freezer there isn't enough space for the fan to pull from the top. I may have to add a smaller fan closer to the bottom to boost air circulation.

Had a question about the large flat piece the coffin goes on.

What kind of wood is that (sanded ply?) and is there some kind of trim around the edge of it? It kind of looks like the grain is going a different way around the edge. Im interested in doing something similar.

Had a question about the large flat piece the coffin goes on.

What kind of wood is that (sanded ply?) and is there some kind of trim around the edge of it? It kind of looks like the grain is going a different way around the edge. Im interested in doing something similar.

The entire thing was made out of Oak. The top is a piece of Oak Plywood with an inch section ripped and cornered for the edges, to keep a nice finished edge.

did you ever end up adding the last faucets for this? any recent pics?

i did add the last faucet, everything looks beautiful. i will have to grab some pics when i get home this weekend... my girlfriend has some choice ones from the first couple days it was in use at the house... i'm glad she has pictures because i don't remember much haha :ban:

i actually just signed a lease last week and will be moving in 2 weeks so i have to take it apart to move it yet again...hopefully the last time for a long time

Back