Kegerator in a credenza?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J--

Reaction score
We've all been there. You want to build a kegerator and you want it in your living room. Your significant other has ideas (see: the garage).

So we should compromise: I'm hoping to make a new kegerator and replicate the woodwork to mimic MCM/danish modern furniture stylings. I want it to function as a kegerator but have the look of a record console/credenza.
9549-2.jpg
bluetooth_players_2_020_1024x1024.JPG

Obviously it won't float on beautiful legs like these. But it will have a tall faucet tower on one side, and a record player on the other that will sit on a vibration reducing pad to prevent the fridge from messing with the sound.

I made a kegerator once before out of a vintage milk refrigerator. I cut and finished oak doors to replace the metal exterior and make it less of an eye sore. While it was a good kegerator, it was loud in an apartment.

I'm hoping to tackle two things with this build and I'm looking for advice.

1. Are there any efficient long and low chest fridges, approximately a couple inches over the size of a corny keg, that I could easily use and shell?
2. Are there quiet fridge or fridges that exist that also fit corny kegs? Quiet enough to live in a living room?

It might end up being easier to just use a couple smaller fridges if they're quieter. I still have to draft up the plans for the work but I plan on making this a year long project once I know what fridges to use.

Really looking forward to hearing any ideas or suggestions!

I'm old enough to have had a father that actually had an audio system contained in a credenza like that - and the McIntosh receiver/pre-amp, the pair of McIntosh monochannel tube amps, and the massive speaker cabinets are all still in my (96yo) mom's basement - along with a huge Tandberg reel to reel deck :)

To even approach the classic cabinet geometry you would have to settle on short kegs - like 2.5 to 3 gallons - and look for the stubbiest dorm fridges out there. Otherwise you could try to maintain the style, but the legs will have to be stubby and the height may be well above the prototypical console look you're going for.

In any case, noise could be an issue if this piece of functional furniture is to reside in a normally quiet living space. For instance, there seems to be some "popping" noise thing endemic to small under-counter/dorm fridges that might not be appreciated. Research would be advised...

Cheers!

Back