DIY weldless thermometer for $15!!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Here is my idea, please chime in. Use a 3/8" brass nipple that is 1-1/2" in length to go through the cooler wall, seal with a brass or SS nut, washer and rubber grommet INSIDE the cooler. Tighten from the outside with another brass or SS nut. Purchase a simple $10 meat thermometer and pack say, 5 small rubber grommets onto the stem, insert stem and grommets INTO the brass nipple for a snug fit! 4-5 grommets, fitting snugly, should seal it up tight... anyone done this? Built your own? Beats $50 for a threaded brew thermometer and bulkhead.

Instead of the nut on the outside use a coupling or even better a compression fitting (that fits your thermometer) with a female 3/8 NPT (page 158 & 159 in McMaster). Then you have that same connection style Bobby_M has in the above link.

Will do, sounds like a good idea and a more frugal alternative to the mass produced bulkheads.

Now that I think about it, putting the fitting on the inside might be better for a mash tun. Won't fill the nipple with grain you'll have to dig out. Also, I was cruising McMaster and found cheaper female NPT fittings on pg 147. Might find them at the hardware store to. You could probably even go down to an 1/8 inch nipple so you can get a smaller (and cheaper) compression fitting and drill a smaller hole in your cooler.

Thanks I was looking at McMAster-Carr too. I will be home on Saturday and will hit up the hardware stores too. I have the bulkheads and ballvalves designed for $17 each and built, I just need the therms. THANKS

I had the same frugal thought process.
My conclusion was to insert a male nipple (close) into the 1/2 inch FPT on the keg. I then carefully shaved down a # 2 (I think) stopper, so it was almost too tight to go into the inside of the nipple. I lubed with water and inserted it, then I capped all of this off with a 1/2 # brass cap that I had drilled a hole in the end just slightly bigger than needed for the thermometer. To insert the thermometer, drill a small hole into the stopper and insert the thermometer. No leaks after 6 mos. When it does start leaking, I'll replace the 29 cent stopper. To keep from hitting the probe, I drilled a bunch of holes into a 1/2 inch copper pipe and soldered to a nipple that threads into the inside of the nipple (hand tight for ease of cleaning)
FWIW

Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Pol

Good idea The Pol. That is much easier than brass fittings and nipples (i said nipple). Plus it is easy to remove. What is between the two walls? Is it foam that may get nasty over time? Would it be possible to smear some silicone on the foam to seal it up?

It is foam... would it get nasty... hrmm, I dunno. The stopper seals the inner wall of the cooler flawlessly. BUT, yeah there is nothing stopping you from coating the foam with sealant. I am now at a complete loss as to why people pay nearly $50 for a brass setup to place a therm through the wall of a cooler...

Pol

I have a friend that bought some of the "thru the wall conversions" and he still cannot get them to seal correctly. (bulkheads for ball valves and therms). I dunno, women like shiny things... I am not a woman.

The Pol said:
Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby.

Pol

Did this work out well? Did it stay in even when stiring? If you hit it while stiring will it pop out and your mash flow free?

No, they will not come out... I have done several brews and hit them several times while stirring. They fit in there really tight!!!

Hey, I thought I responded to this already... weird. Well they are TIGHT, I have brewed in these several times and hit them 100x with the mash paddle, they do not come loose.. Between the snug fit in the sidewall and the pressure exerted on the stoppers from the mash... no worries, they will be stuck fo' life!

Do you remember the length of the thermometers you used with this setup? Just trying to figure out what all I need to purchase.

Thanks,
Eric

Pol,
Do you think that the Blichmann BrewMometer would work OK with your setup?

thx,
Eric

Pol,
Do you think that the Blichmann BrewMometer would work OK with your setup?

thx,
Eric

Um, I have a Blichman right here... and I DONT KNOW.

The temp probe is MUCH thicker than a typical digital therm. You MAY have a hard time getting that thing pushed through. Anything is possible though.

These thermometers (Blichman) are VERY heavy on the outside of the vessel, it may place some torque on the stopper and cause it to leak.

Honestly, I dont know how youd get that temp probe through the stopper, and if you did, those probes are pretty darned short.

Pol

Hey Pol, been a lurker and this is my first post. I have a question about this setup here.

1-Why the 1" hole? (can it be smaller, and use a smaller stopper)
2-I am assuming the stopper you are using is an undrilled airlock bung?
I am currently converting a 48 qt Igloo Ice Cube into a mash tun. I want to add this to the conversion.

To add to this I have never done an all grain batch before and will be doing my first very soon...once I get all my equipment ready. Thanks in advance, I really enjoy your posts and just found your website... really cool stuff.

Back