DIY Outdoor Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCH

Reaction score
I just finished building my outdoor kegerator for my covered deck. It is an insulated keg box that is cooled by a minifridge. Here are some of the build pics.

imagf2-60977.jpg

image-60965.jpg

image2-60967.jpg

Minifridge and kegbox framing.

image3-60968.jpg

Plywood walls installed and primed. Door started.

image4-60969.jpg

image5-60970.jpg

More of the door. The top is made from 5/4 pine boards. I glued them together sanded them flat.

image6-60971.jpg

Beaty panel to hide the back of the fridge.

image7-60972.jpg

Cheap paint booth.

image8-60973.jpg
image9-60974.jpg
imagf0-60975.jpg
imagf1-60976.jpg

Wiring, fans, aluminum walls, and guages

imagf2-60977.jpg
imagf3-60978.jpg

I finished it with exterior marine paint on the keg box and marine spar vanish on the top. The top was sealed with shellac first to keep the stain from blotching.

Very cool! You hid the fridge part so well I never saw even a hint of it!

Do you need that box fan to make it work?

Cheers!

Very cool! You hid the fridge part so well I never saw even a hint of it!

Do you need that box fan to make it work?

Cheers!

The box fan is helping to move air over the compressor right now. I have computer fans I have to wire up behind the beauty panel to help take the heat away from the fridge. The box fan is temporary. The fridge is struggling a bit to keep the temp down. It should be fine for the cooler fall and early spring months. The fridge will pop right out if I need it to. Next summer I plan on putting a compact freezer in there instead. I used the fridge for now because I had it. It probably ten years old. It would have to upgraded eventually anyway. I might change the insulation out too. I didn't use pro pink. I used a 2 in rigid foam from Home Depot with a foil backing. I don't think it has as high of an r value as pro pink (wish I would have realized that before).

Awesome job. I am thinkin of dojng something similar. Moving my indoor kegerator outside on my deck all year round in Philly area. Not sure if it will handle hottest days and coldest days any insight would be appreciated. And I'd like to see how you made out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome job. I am thinkin of dojng something similar. Moving my indoor kegerator outside on my deck all year round in Philly area. Not sure if it will handle hottest days and coldest days any insight would be appreciated. And I'd like to see how you made out.

Thanks. Yeah it did have a little trouble keeping the temps cool last summer. When I built it it was really humid out so the door twisted a little on me once the humidity dropped. Not bad I'm just going to install toggle clamps on the door to pin it shut. I also used an old fridge which was probably on its way out. I'm going to swap it out for the mini freezer I have in the basement now. The keg box was probably a little big for the original mini fridge.

I built a layering chamber in a similar fashion using a very old mini fridge. I noticed that the insulation on my chamber was much better that the mini fridge. Nyou may consider gutting the mini fridge and putting the freezer box inside your better insulated box

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm sorry what exactly is a layering chamber.

Latest posts

Back