DIY fruit press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
I made this fruit press a couple of months ago and have been tweeking on it since apple picking season.
4196529316_aa7901edd6_b.jpg

Made from a used wire reel with plastic ends. then bought a plastic water heater tray at home depot to catch the juice. Then wrapped the staves with two stainless straps from some stock I have laying around, with one screw in each stave to hold them in place.

I moved the bolts that hold it together to the outside of the "staves", cut a hole in the top just wide enough so the slot that holds the staves is still there. Then passed two of the bolts through an alumaforme A-frame (Any metal A frame can be used here) for the press bracket. I also cut the outside of the ends to make the whole thing smaller and so that it would fit in the water heater tray.
4196529666_759c441454_b.jpg

The press plate is the piece I cut out of the top, then I place 8X8 blocks on top of that as needed to get it up to the bottle jack height.

The first problem I had was the bolts pulling washers through the plastic at the bottom, so I cut these brackets out of some other aluminum scrap I had, they span the ribs of the bottom so they don't pull through.
4196529534_94c1e1075e_b.jpg

The next problem was the cheesecloth breaking from the indentations in the bottom shown here with holes drilled through them to let the juice out.
4195774449_3f664b3a8b_b.jpg

So I devised this plate made from plywood to fit in the bottom (cut in two pieces to fit it through the top hole.
4196529602_45bf8c32da_b.jpg

This was the first time we didn't break it when we used it. We've used it for 15 gallons of apple juice, one batch of white grapes and this small batch of red grape wine after fermentation. I don't think a store bought press would do any better and we can probably fit 3+ bushels in it (Would probably need bigger bolts and bracketry for a full press). Here's a picture of the grape cake left in the muslin cloth after I pulled it out.
4195773921_b2b129c756_b.jpg

The only other thing I will probably need to do is replace the bolts with larger ones, as you can see they are bending quite nicely at the top where I made them too long, etc.

Keep on brewing my friends!:mug:

This really stirs up the mental petri dish--thanks for the clear explanation and great pics.

I've been thinking about pressing apples since watching "Botany of Desire" (highly recommended). In the segment about apples Michael Pollan explains how before the 1900's most of the apples in the US were consumed as hard cider. Surely cheap, functional presses were a lot more common then.

I used to work in a circuit board shop. I was in drilling. The tables were driven by some crazy long screws and impressivly large servos. After so long the shafts were discarded as they were unfit for tight tolerances. Wonder what kind of fruit press these 6 foot stainless rods with some chuky motor could do... btw, that is one sexy press my friend! I think you've inspired me! (wish I still knew that crazy maintenance guy that kept all the wierd crap they were just throwing away... I wonder how much of a drilling machine he actually could put together, LOL!!!)

Great idea. It's gotten me thinking. I've got a couple 18" stroke hydraulic jacks in my shop that would be perfect.

Great job, I made myself a smaller version with a Bench vice handle. . . . . .

Looks good, I like your sack, How big is it? what material is that and where did you get it?:mug:

Edit: I see now that the sack is about as big as a 5gal bucket?

Oh yea and I'm not female, and I take it back, I hate your ugly sack.

Hahahahahaha!!! I got a solid laugh out of that, thanks.

These are really fantastic presses guys, I'm jealous. I work p/t in the produce section of a grocery store and I had to throw 240 lbs. of pears into the compost yesterday that would have been fantastic for pressing... If only I had the equipment.

240 lbs of Pears, I would have taken them home and stomped them if I had to! I tried asking my Super Market about fruits going in the garbage and if I could take any and they said no! :(

240 lbs of Pears, I would have taken them home and stomped them if I had to! I tried asking my Super Market about fruits going in the garbage and if I could take any and they said no! :(

They're just being difficult because it involves extra effort on their part. Try offering to get them a round of coffee or a couple of pizzas every time. That'll do the trick, or at least it does where I work!

Back