Collar Build, In Process Pics, Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grendelrt

Reaction score
So I started my build this weekend, I have been reading a bunch of threads on here for ideas and suggestions. So far the build has gone really well. I have everything cut and built. All I have left is to put weather stripping on the bottom of the collar, put in insulation, drill holes for the fan and temp sensor, and paint/stain. So the last one is where I am looking for opinions. Originally I was dead set on painting the collar with chalkboard paint so I could write what homebrews where in and just have some fun with it. After building the collar now though I love the color of the poplar and kinda want to stain it. I have read that poplar is hard to stain though so I am looking for opinions :mug: Location will be in the garage. Below are some pics of my build up to this point.

First thing, upgrade your Miter Saw :D
6933552335_9a8635a92e_b.jpg

Then I built the base, sealed all corners with Guerrilla Glue
6933539891_6be3664a14_b.jpg

Then I ran some HVAC Duct tape on the top and bottoms, I wanted smooth surfaces to help get a better seals on the weather strips.
6933540131_7e47807ae5_b.jpg

Added the poplar front pieces, first test fit
6787425082_45b8679726_b.jpg

Inside look, it was a super tight fit, was really happy with that
6933540511_2a244ba4e5_b.jpg

Shanks added (test only, still have to decide on stain or chalkboard)
6787425412_c468cca8be_b.jpg

6787425538_cab1785387_b.jpg

Awesome, super clean build. This is essentially the exact same build I'm planning, but with a 5.0 CF freezer and taps on the opposite side. I'm a big fan of the cool factor of chalkboard paint (or maybe only I think it's cool :p). Definitely going to pick up some HVAC tape to get things sealed tight. Any plan on adding foam insulation along the collar? I've heard horror stories of stratification and condensation issues with wood collars w/o out (don't know how much truth there is to them yet).

Awesome, super clean build. This is essentially the exact same build I'm planning, but with a 5.0 CF freezer and taps on the opposite side. I'm a big fan of the cool factor of chalkboard paint (or maybe only I think it's cool :p). Definitely going to pick up some HVAC tape to get things sealed tight. Any plan on adding foam insulation along the collar? I've heard horror stories of stratification and condensation issues with wood collars w/o out (don't know how much truth there is to them yet).

Thanks! Yeah I bought some of that pink foam board insulation from Home Depot. It is 1" thick and is R5 rated. I plan on using that and a fan to circulate air. And I think the chalkboard paint is cool too, im conflicted for either going cool factor (chalkboard paint) or classier adult (stain) lol.

Poplar is tough to stain as it will usually come out blotchy, but it can be done with good results.

Best would either be a dye or gel stain. I've had decent success with either, pick some up and test on some scraps to find what you like.

Poplar is tough to stain as it will usually come out blotchy, but it can be done with good results.

Best would either be a dye or gel stain. I've had decent success with either, pick some up and test on some scraps to find what you like.

Thanks for the reply, that was what I was reading as well. I read it paints really well though. Decisions decisions.....

Well I tried to stain the poplar and we couldn't get anything to look very good (on scrap pieces) so I just decided to use chalkboard paint and make my life a little easier. All I have to do now is figure out how I want to seal the hole my temp probe and fan lines are coming through, I would like something like a grommet so I dont have to pull crap out (like silicone) if I change my mind on something. My batch of beer should be ready next week, so hopefully I will start using the keezer then =)

007 by grendelrt, on Flickr

006 by grendelrt, on Flickr

015 by grendelrt, on Flickr

017 by grendelrt, on Flickr

And think I am done. Put a fan in and built a little shelf to hold the kegs off the ground. Super fun little project, as soon as my beer is done cold crashing its kegging time!

001 by grendelrt, on Flickr

Back