Blichmann Burner ignitor mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmw

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Blichmann burner, but found it a bit of a pain to have to manually light it, especially during mashing with a 20g kettle sitting on it. I thought of using an electronic grill ignitor kit:

(http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Universal-Electronic-Ignitor-Kit-812-7220-S/203016464#).

I found inspiration for a similar mod on the web:

However, I decided I wanted to position the sparker closer to the center of the burner to promote quicker ignition and reduce flashbacks. The available sparker probes were not long enough to reach the center of the burner when mounted to the wind blocker on the burner stand. Instead, I fashioned a piece of aluminum 1" x 1/8" part (sourced the stock from Home Depot) to serve as a mount for the ignitor probe. This was cut and shaped using an angle grinder, and then bent to hold the ignitor between the banjo burner as shown. I then bend the probe itself so that it was about 1/4" above a burner hole near the center. I mounted the ignitor power source inside of a 1 gang outdoor PVC electrical box on one leg of the burner stand toward the bottom of the leg. This was a tight fit and required me to cut the side of the box with a multitool blade so it would fit around the large nut that holds the leg to the burner wind blocker. This ignitor kit has three output terminals, so one was routed via an included high voltage wire to the bottom of the ignitor (mounted via a hole in the mount). A second wire was run from another terminal to "ground" the mount itself. This second wire is needed to prevent the control box from grounding to the burner leg. If this is not included, the unit will not effectively spark.

As can be seen, no permanent modifications of the stand itself were required to add this, so if I want to remove it, it returns the burner to its original state. I had to play around with this a bit to get the ignitor to work properly and not ground to itself (which will prevent high voltage from getting to the ignitor itself). It works quite well and there are no flashbacks when propane is turned on. It is also much easier to light the burner because you only need to hold the button down while it continuously sparks.

IMAG0831.jpg

IMAG0832.jpg

IMAG0833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. These pics really make my burner look dirty! I guess I'll need to clean it to keep it super blingy :D

Overall, a pretty simple build and about as handy as you can get without full on automation.

Can you speak to the reliability of your setup? It's been a year and a half now. I'm looking to use the same parts for my brew stand and I'm worried about the wire melting.

Can you speak to the reliability of your setup? It's been a year and a half now. I'm looking to use the same parts for my brew stand and I'm worried about the wire melting.

No problems with the wire melting because the heat is directed up away from the burners and the wire is located below the burner. The PVC box has gotten a little melted, but not badly. If I were to do it again, I'd replace that with a metal single gang outlet box. The only issue I've noticed is the occasional shock when I touch the ignitor pushbutton, which can be addressed by using a stick or other insulated pointer to depress the button. Other than that, it works quite well.

fwiw, I have a similar manual spark ignition on my rig for the MLT and BK. I attached the igniters to the burners (I drilled and threaded mounting holes directly in the undersides), attached the ground wires to the rig frame, and mounted the generator near the top rail of the rig.

Two years of steady use and the wires are fine...

Cheers!

No problems with the wire melting because the heat is directed up away from the burners and the wire is located below the burner. The PVC box has gotten a little melted, but not badly. If I were to do it again, I'd replace that with a metal single gang outlet box. The only issue I've noticed is the occasional shock when I touch the ignitor pushbutton, which can be addressed by using a stick or other insulated pointer to depress the button. Other than that, it works quite well.

Grounding may be a better idea...

Here is another possibly simpler alternative installation method.

https://youtu.be/nhLTSFApjk0

Yeah, I'd thought of using a piezo ignitor, but I do like the easy pushbutton kind because they can fire a pulsating spark until the flame is achieved. With a piezo ignitor, you would have to keep pushing on it (with some force) until the flame started up (which could lead to some rather scary flame-ups).

Grounding may be a better idea...

Perhaps it's not obvious in the picture, but the second wire is supposed to serve as a ground wire and it grounds the aluminum stock that holds the ignitor in place. Even with this grounding arrangement, it can still produce a shock, particularly on dry Southern California days. Incidentally, the kit I purchased has three outputs, and you are supposed to use one of the outputs to ground the unit. I wonder if there is a better way?

Perhaps it's not obvious in the picture, but the second wire is supposed to serve as a ground wire and it grounds the aluminum stock that holds the ignitor in place. Even with this grounding arrangement, it can still produce a shock, particularly on dry Southern California days. Incidentally, the kit I purchased has three outputs, and you are supposed to use one of the outputs to ground the unit. I wonder if there is a better way?

Seems like there has to be a better way. It seems like a liability for the manufacturer otherwise.

Did you run a ground from the igniter to your burner? It's possible they're at different potentials and your touching the burner when getting shocked?

Back