Beer tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
Now that the kegerator and coffin box are in heavy-duty use, I have turned my attention to tap handles. I have looked at what is out there and in here for commercial, custom and home-made. So far, I haven't had an 'aha' moment. Any new and cool ideas for DIY tap handles?

B

purchase tap handle inserts:

image_949.jpg

and your options are almost endless...given the correct 1/2" bit to drill a 5/8" deep hole into the material of your choice...instant, unique tap handle.

+1 on the inserts. Check out the ones in my link below, I did those cheap in an hour. Working up some ideas for other ones...

there was an articly in BYO a few months ago about some one who used decorative trim and some small wood blocks. I think the guy originaly posted his pics on this site.

Here's mine. I just made these this week. I copied some ideas from others here. I used some wood trim blocks from Lowes. I used Minwax stain and polyurethane on the sides and back, and chalkboard paint on the front surface. Some 3/8" threaded inserts, and here it is.

taphandles.jpg

I'm new to homebrewing, and I only have a converted fridge for kegs of beer (usually from a local microbrewery in Pittsburgh), but I put one of those threaded inserts into a hockey puck. Very cool, cheap, and sturdy. Also, for our Halloween party I put an insert into a novelty Skull and used that.

Buy a few of those inserts and your options are endless.

There are tons of good taphandle threads here. Check out the related links at the bottom of this thread.

I turn wood ones on the lathe, and have forged a few steel ones. As has been said, all you need is a 3/8"x16 threaded insert (or tap) and you can make anything into a handle.

tower_frontview.jpg

-Joe

For DIY tap handles I used spindles from Woodcraft. Each spindle can be cut into two sections (yielding two handles per each spindle), which require no lathe work and minimal sanding (if any). Simply cut, drill a hole and thread the insert mentioned above, then stain or paint.

Here's what they look like.
photo%287%29.JPG

I vote for getting a lathe a turning some out yourself. I wound up doing the same with some scraps, I didn't have any solid chunks of wood, but figured I could glue some together and turn them out, here's what I wound up with:
P1110812.jpg

If the expense of a lather isn't out of the question, it's not a difficult skill to pick up, those 2 handles were my first experience with a lathe(though I borrowed my father-in-laws lather)

Thanks all. Great ideas all around - and I am particularly keen on the idea of buying a little lathe and making my own maybe with some wood that I pick up around the yard or nearby bush. Home made, homebrewed and homegrown!

B

Those T nuts are designed to be on the other side of a part, where the threads pull the spikes into the part. I doubt they are going to have much strength in a typical tap handle situation. The inserts typically have rough wood type threads on the outside that pull them selves into the part.

I bought a small stool for $8 and 4 wooden squares at the craft store at the mall, used the threaded inserts from Lowe's, and some chalkboard paint.

DSC04125.JPG

I picked up a few t-nuts at Canadian Tire this aft so will report back once I get the right sze of drill bit to prepare my first design.

B

I went to the local auto supply store and bought a couple of shift knobs. Got a skull and an 8-ball. They fit perfectly and look great

purchase tap handle inserts:

image_949.jpg

and your options are almost endless...given the correct 1/2" bit to drill a 5/8" deep hole into the material of your choice...instant, unique tap handle.

what is the part number for this little goodie or exact name of it?

I wouldn't mind building a couple custom tap handles.

-=Jason=-

what is the part number for this little goodie or exact name of it?

I wouldn't mind building a couple custom tap handles.

-=Jason=-

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dual-threaded-insert-for-wooden-taphandles.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-dual-threaded-insert-for-wooden-taphandles.html

Also not that you could probably pick up similar threaded inserts from Rockler or other wood working supply shops(not sure about Menards or Home Depot), you'd just need to make sure you got the right sized inserts.

You can get them at Lowes... they are in the drawer bins with the miscellaneaous crap, same isle as the screws and stuff.

You can get them at Lowes... they are in the drawer bins with the miscellaneaous crap, same isle as the screws and stuff.

score I'll just bring a faucet along with me to make sure I get the right parts.

-=Jason=-

I am at lowe's I found the drawer with the inserts just have no idea what size I need

Help

Jason

It was also posted at least twice in this thread :) Have fun making handles!

-Joe

post number 3 just had a picture
post number 8 just said 3/8"

it wasn't until post number 10 where you said 3/8-16

sorry I was using my Droid and must have missed it on post number 10

-=Jason=-

I want to get an Irish Shillelagh and use that as a tap handle for Stouts and Irish Reds.

When I switch to Kegging that is.

I like the idea of getting the inserts and making your own tap handles... Looks like I need to make a trip to Lowes :D

I inserted one of the t-nuts I bought into a 10" length of wood that one of the kids found a few days back. It was a bit wobbly so I added some silicone sealant in and around the nut. Haven't tried it yet but it seems much more secure.

B

I recently had my father-in-law get some handles turned in Guatemala out of 9 different types of wood. Here are 5 of them. Sorry for the small pic.

handles.jpg

I inserted one of the t-nuts I bought into a 10" length of wood that one of the kids found a few days back. It was a bit wobbly so I added some silicone sealant in and around the nut. Haven't tried it yet but it seems much more secure.

B

T-nuts aren't really what you want to use here. To secure them properly, you'd need a screw running down through the whole tap handle to pull the teeth up into the bottom. That's how t-nuts work. Use the inserts mentioned here.

I want to get an Irish Shillelagh and use that as a tap handle for Stouts and Irish Reds.

You put one of these in your Shillelagh, and you won't be able to walk for a month!

:off: and here I go...

As the owner of a modern shillelagh I am a bit taken back. This is like saying you want to drive a new car in a demo derby...sure you can do it and yes, it would be cool but what a waste.

All the shillelagh's that are made now are made of blackthorn because all the trees in the Shillelagh forest were cut down...long, long ago. If you have one of these oak ones, that would be the Irish equivalent of an heirloom weapon...Cutting one of these into a tap handle would be like making an heirloom katana into a spoon...

Modern Shillelagh's are pricey at about $50+ a pop and take about 3 years to craft. You would be time and money ahead to make a "look-a-like". If you want I can send you some pics of mine or I strongly recommend: http://store.lollysirishgifts.com/ I LOVE mine!

As for the topic: Love, Love, Love the inserts and info here. Maybe once it warms up I can go digging through the old man's antler collection and find a few that I can craft into some handles. To add a bit of uniqueness to this idea I will be drilling a small hole in the end/tip to hang an engraved "dog tag/Id tag" that has the description of what is on that tap like: IPA, Oatmeal stout ect. One more "to do" to add to "the list"...

Back