Pee smells funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTbrewer

Reaction score
Hey, totally random here, but does anyone else's pee smell funny (think asparagus) after drinking a lot of yeasty homebrew? Especially wits and hefes...:drunk:

To my knowledge asparagus is the only thing that affects the smell of my urine. I hate that smell but love asparagus.

I notice two things in my pee-- asparagus and coffee. However, most of the time it's difficult to smell my pee (probably for the better) due to the shape of the toilets/urinals I use. I've noticed that certain ones cause more urinary odor than others.

One of these days I want to do an experiment to find out how fast the aspara-piss (my name for the tainted urine smell) happens after eating. I guess I'll have to wait until I have to pee, and then eat a single stalk of asparagus. Then I can vary the time until I sense the aspara-piss.

seriously! My pee smells like yeast the next morning after a night of drinking! its weird!

and aren't yeast farts the CO2 that carbonates our beer? :p

I drink a lot of pee but haven't noticed my homebrew smelling weird afterward =)

How much brew have you had when you notice this? If you've gotten rather wasted perhaps it is just dehydrated pee that you're smelling.

Ah... Vitamin C does that. When I'm sick I tend to take tablets, and am amazed at the color.

That's because you really aren't absorbing much of whats in that tablet. You get the 100% you need and the rest goes through your pee. A cup of OJ has 110% of your daily need.

This is slightly more delicate and worrisome aspect of this same inquiry.

Is it possible that it changes the taste of . . . well . . . you know . . . the not pee. Does it change the taste of that do you think? Because if it does it could explain a lot. And it might change one of the motivating factors for choosing which beer to brew. A lot more chocolate and vanilla beers in the pipeline so to speak,

This is slightly more delicate and worrisome aspect of this same inquiry.

Is it possible that it changes the taste of . . . well . . . you know . . . the not pee. Does it change the taste of that do you think? Because if it does it could explain a lot. And it might change one of the motivating factors for choosing which beer to brew. A lot more chocolate and vanilla beers in the pipeline so to speak,

Pineapples and strawberries apparently have a large effect on that, eat strawberries for three days then ask yer wife to get her laughing tackle around a strawberry treat....doesn't work for me but hey you might be lucky....

I can't always be bothered to drink enough water when in a drunken stupor!

I think it has to do with actually drinking to yeast in hefe's and some belgians...my best guess anyways.

I will have to try out the strawberry/pineapple idea though....SWMBO!! Where are you?

Some studies have shown that all people who eat asparagus produce smelly pee, but only approximately 22% of the population can pinpoint the asparagus stink, where the other 78% cannot distinguish it from normal pee smell.
http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/skinny-on/asparagus.html

So this begs the question: does the pee smell if 78% of the population can't smell it?

I can smell it. God awful horrid **** weed. Tastes OK going in, but not 30 minutes later...

I've never noticed my pee smelling different. However I picked up a 6 pack of IIPA from brecknridge yesterday and polished it off last night. Great beer! Then this morning when I took my morning dump it smelled exactly like a good IPA

Asparagus and beets with dinner.

Aspara-piss odor drives me off the toilet and I see the bloody beet butt as I wipe my arse. I'm still scarfin them both whenever I can.

In honor of this thread, I have been drinking nothing but IPAs for the last 4 hours straight, and refraining from urinating, in the hopes that when I let it go, after the next ipa of course, a warm and very floral wafting of warm, grapefruity hops will rise up out of the toilet bowl and envelope me, and lift me off to heaven.

<<<<Bucking for inclusion in the mem quotes thread with this post. :D

Revvy is blatter retentive and a pee sniffer.
man...thats just messed up.
dont_pee.jpg

Back