Yeast Rafts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of what yeast rafts look like? The beer I brewed 2.5 weeks ago is still in the primary and since the krausen has subsided has had little, well... the best way I can explain it is.... tiny cottage cheese like lumps, very small and have grown at all in the last week or so.

I am thinking these are just the left over yeast rafts, but have nothing to judge by.... and really hoping not an infection. I tried to take a picture, but the carboy did not allow good pictures, and I am not planning on taking out the stopper/blow off until I do a gravity check and dry hop this Friday.

Thanks in advance!:tank:

Look in ANY thread whose title is "Is my beer ruined?" or "Is my beer infected?" that has a picture in it, and you will see what yeast rafts look like, since over 99% of those threads, where pictures are posted, are indeed yeast rafts.

What you have sounds though like krausen kurdels. Some yeasts after they begin to flocculate and the lrausen falls, look like brown cottage cheese. And are perfectly normal.

Look in ANY thread whose title is "Is my beer ruined?" or "Is my beer infected?" that has a picture in it, and you will see what yeast rafts look like, since over 99% of those threads, where pictures are posted, are indeed yeast rafts.

What you have sounds though like krausen kurdels. Some yeasts after they begin to flocculate and the lrausen falls, look like brown cottage cheese. And are perfectly normal.

Gotta tell you Revvy... I see your advice all over the place and it is certainly helpful. I was thinking it was just left over yeast something or other, having read a ton of posts. But of course, reading is not the same as experiencing. Looking forward to getting this guy dry hopped and in the bottles in another 2 weeks. The waiting is killing me, being my first batch, but to help I plan to sample my gravity reading on Friday as a reward for my patience, then brew a brown ale on Saturday. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back