Where to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtec

Reaction score
What's up everyone!

So I am planning to start my first mini brewing project. I have seen some threads and seen some good ideas but my only problem is, I'm in Europe!

I have no idea where to even start looking for what I need. So I figured I would leave it to people much much more experienced (and probably much smarter too!:cross:) to help guide me down the right path.

I want to just get my feet wet so I am looking for the simple simple basics.

What do I need to start?
Where can I find it around Holland, Beligium or Germany (I am currently in Holland but 45 min from Antwerp and 90 min from Germany)?
I am hoping to keep the cost below 150 euros if possible or my girl will prob strangle me (4 1/2 months pregnant and apparently all extra money should be spent on baby! lol)

So where do I start? My brewing experience is limited to drinking beer and drinking beer while I watched my buddy brew (different stages he tried explaining but as I mentioned before, I was busy drinking the beer) his beer.

Proost!

Derrik

You list Fresno, CA as your location. Do you have family still in Fresno?

Bencomos, on West Olive, is where I got started 20 years ago. I have no doubt that they could hook you up, as could many of the on line vendors. Assuming, of course, that someone dies come through with a store close to you in Europe.

Hey there Ianw58. My Brother lives out in Kerman and my Mom lives in Visalia. I travel back to the Central Valley to visit my Sons but bringing anything back to Holland is such a pain. Could you imagine having a large bag of Hopps in your suitcase??? lol I would be right back in the little white room being talked to about what am I doing in Holland (I have been in there before because of a passport misunderstanding, they weren't sure how long I was there! It's funny now.... and then too!)

Does anyone have any experience getting the right stuff here? They drink a ton of beer around here and I have to imagine many are brewing it themselves.

I was thinking of ordering and having it shipped but the import tax is insane that it would more than likely add 30% to my costs.

Thank you for the reply Ian (can I call you Ian? :eek:)

Still no luck finding anything. I don't speak Dutch and most everythign I find online is in Dutch and even with google translate I am not sure what I am looking at.

It's almost summer and I am no closer to starting than I was in Feb.

Help!!!!

Curtec, Don't give up. Maybe try posting under a different title, "Dutch/Euro brewers, help!" or something like that. I know there are a couple Dutch brewers on (were) here. Good Luck.

Curtec, Don't give up. Maybe try posting under a different title, "Dutch/Euro brewers, help!" or something like that. I know there are a couple Dutch brewers on (were) here. Good Luck.

+1

Start small with the basics. See How to Brew link below.
Equipment-wise, most kitchen and hardware store items will work fine and some you may have already, like a large pot, large stirring spoon, tubing, funnel, etc.

Some equipment is brew specific, like hydrometer, airlock, food-grade bucket etc. and I'm sure can be found online or in a specialty store. People do brew and make wine in those countries.

For brew ingredients (grains, DME/LME, yeast) and sundries like (Starsan, Iodophor) sanitizer a specialty brew/wine making store resource is a must. Probably hooking up with someone in the country who already brews will help with locating resources and translations where needed.

Dutch people are very helpful and resourceful. Wishing you good luck with the brew project and your baby. You'll be busy and a home brew is well deserved.

I suggest reading Palmer's How to Brew and the boards here.

Ahh Thanks guys!!! I will try posting again. And the main things I am having trouble getting are the brewing ingredients. Drums I have no problem (hence where I work lol).

I'll repost but thanks for the help!!!!

Back