Taking gravity readings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
So when taking gravity readings do you return the beer to the fermenter or do you toss it out?

dont put it back in! contamination much? like said above...^^...taste test!

I don't want to lead you into doing something wrong, but I just check mine in the fermentor after my hydrometer's been well sanitized. I don't want to taste unfinished beer (usually), and don't want to waste it either.

dont put it back in! contamination much? like said above...^^...taste test!

Then why does the Thief have a valve at the bottom to return the beer to the fermentor? If the thief, the hydrometer, and whatever I use to release the valve are all sanitized, then how would my beer get contaminated?

I don't want to lead you into doing something wrong, but I just check mine in the fermentor after my hydrometer's been well sanitized. I don't want to taste unfinished beer (usually), and don't want to waste it either.

In fairness, many (myself included) will wait a couple of weeks before testing it. The impatience level is lower as you brew more often and you have a pipeline going. Sitting beer isn't so tempting when you're drinking your other goodies. That said, if you don't use buckets then your method isn't really possible. That and tasting what is likely fully fermented or near fermented beer is often nice because you can just get a good taste for what is to come. But that's a matter of preference, I suppose.

I've only returned my beer to the FV when doing 1 gallon batches. In that case everything is sanitized crazy well, even the counter around the jug. It's nutty, but so far I've been okay. I don't do a lot of 1 gallon batches of things though, mostly weird cider experiments.

Anyway, OP, I would drink it but again, I tend to wait almost two weeks before I even bother to test the gravity.

I'm not going to risk contaminating a whole batch over a tiny amount of beer. I taste test a little (especially if trying to detect diacetyl) and pour the rest down the drain.

It may be the wrong way to look at it, but if my hydrometer can be sanitized properly to take an OG reading I can daily sanitize as well to take an OG reading. It's been cleaned and stored properly, followed by a long sanitization...

Not worth spoiling the whole batch over a tiny sample. If it's fermented I usually drink the entire sample, I kind of like warm beer.

Yea, well, mine isn't sound advice in this area, but it's what I do. And I have a hydrometer tube and turkey baster...

I've just done my first two brews within the last week.... both are small one gallon batches, so I didn't even take a gravity reading to start...

It will just be a mystery at the end!

I think I'm going to end up doing 2-2.5 gallon batches once I start buying the ingredients independently... then I''ll have enough beer to take an initial reading... until then, I'm not wasting any.

The more beer you brew, the less most people will be tempted to take gravity readings... at least that's how it was for me. These days I just take a reading at the beginning of fermentation and one when it should be done. Usually return the sample to the fermenter... Keep the hydrometer and glass tube clean and sanitized and there is little to no chance of an infection... Unless I am just the luckiest guy on earth....

i too have never had a problem w infection...because i drink my gravity sample. when doing 5 - 5.5 gal of brew, whats the waste? 6 oz? ...not even? personal pref, but i choose to err on the side of caution. ^^as stated, too, i only take 1 or 2 finals anyway. the more you brew and the longer you let it ferment, the more confidence you get in understanding when it is d.o.n.e. anyway. i like to try it green...get a sense of fibal product and how much time to age it. drink the sample...or dump it out...or in...

Regardless it's definitely better to err on the side of caution, which is why I mentioned not to do as I do.

:mug: ...i just like using my tubes in a kinda "mad scientist" manner. ;)

As anal/perfectionist as I am I'm surprised I'm not more concerned. Though I've made a great effort to release it and let things be as it's ruined some of my loves...

I just tested and tasted my current batch, a Cali common. SG reading g is as expected after 8 days, taste is bitter but good, no diacteal. Will move out to the "cool room" for a week or Three (again depending on taste).....without a sample I may have plotted a different, and less desirable course.....

Back