Satellite fermentation decent OG technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So I heard about this technique where you put enough fermenting beer into a beer bottle in the same environment as your primary and then you use the beer in the bottle to measure the OG vs pulling brew out of your primary every time. Does this technique work?

I would highly doubt it. The two conditions are vastly different, and with such a large differential in volumes, there are too many variables that can throw your readings. Plus, it's just more work where no work is needed Just get one of those plastic thiefs and you can pull samples from the fermenter easily.

So I heard about this technique where you put enough fermenting beer into a beer bottle in the same environment as your primary and then you use the beer in the bottle to measure the OG vs pulling brew out of your primary every time. Does this technique work?

I don't think so...by it might be close near the end of fermentation. I suppose if you were able to get the exact same proportion of oxygen, and the exact same proportion of yeast this would work. However, this would be extremely hard to do. But for argument's sake, the only thing common between the two samples is going to be the wort. The oxygen and your pitching rate will be different. If you could somehow get those to be the same, or very close I could see it working. Now near the end of the fermentation period...say 2 weeks, I suppose both samples would be near the same SG. Give it a try and let us know, sounds like a fun experiment! :)

Back