Probable Infection (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbie

Reaction score
So I'm making a peach wheat and I forgot to peel the peaches, and when I opened up the primary there was a dry white crust on top with evidence of what looked to be pellicle like bubbles. I transfered to secondary anyways just in case it was mold or something more harmless, and below is a picture of what it looks like now.

Does anyone have an ID on what that is? Is there any chance this would make a decent sour if I let it go, or should I just dump it?

PS sorry about the gigantic image. I can't figure out how to make it a more manageable size. If a mod wants to take care of that for me that'd be great.

Not sure what it is, but if it were me I would rack under it best I could and enjoy - as far as I know nothing will grow in beer that will kill or even seriously hurt you.

Ferment it through, rack off from a few inches under the mold. Bottle, prime, wait 3 weeks, consume, then make a call if you dump it all at once, or 1 bottle at a time via your digestive tract ;)

If I'm not mistaken, the problem with that course of action is that if it is a bacterial infection it could cause bottle bombs. It looked like it could have been a mold when I checked it after primary, but that picture doesn't look at all like a mold to me. Anyways, I posted it in that other thread so if anyone else has any ideas post them here or there. I haven't tasted it yet but I'll probably do that soon.

I'm not generally a thread bumper, but I'd really like some answers on this, so if anybody has any ideas, let me know.

Looks like a pellicle, you won't know if it's a decent sour until you let the bugs run their course.

definitely a pillicle. most likely bacterial (maybe acetobacter or lactobacillus), or pediococcus since brett doesn't set in for a while.

Looks like a wheat beer with peaches.

Edit: Lacto doesn't form a pellicle, pedio gets ropey looking and takes a long time and likes warm temps. Acetobacter turns alcohol into acetic acid, so if its still primary fermentation probably not acetobacter, since it also needs oxygen. If anything its some wild yeast (but probably not brett species) from the peaches skin. Did you wash the peaches?

Looks like a wheat beer with peaches.

Edit: Lacto doesn't form a pellicle, pedio gets ropey looking and takes a long time and likes warm temps. Acetobacter turns alcohol into acetic acid, so if its still primary fermentation probably not acetobacter, since it also needs oxygen. If anything its some wild yeast (but probably not brett species) from the peaches skin. Did you wash the peaches?

No, I forgot to peel the peaches and I did not wash them very well. I did freeze them before use, but obviously that's not enough. If it's just wild yeast I guess I'll bottle in a couple days and hope it only improves the flavor. Thanks for the help.

No, I forgot to peel the peaches and I did not wash them very well. I did freeze them before use, but obviously that's not enough. If it's just wild yeast I guess I'll bottle in a couple days and hope it only improves the flavor. Thanks for the help.

How long has it been going for? Whats the gravity? You should give this one extra time and be sure the gravity has stopped dropping before bottling. It looks fine, but best to be safe.

Yesterday was the 3 week point, and I am planning on making sure I have three days in a row without a gravity drop before bottling.

Back