partial boil vs full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I have a couple questions.

I'm new and going to brew my first brew very soon. Should I just start with "full" boils, I dont want to buy a 20 qt brew pot just to turn around and buy a bigger pot

what size pot do full boils require?

What is the taste difference between partial and full boils?

All the instructions I have seen always start with fill up pot with 2 gallons of water, if doing a full boil what steps are different? Are the steps followed the same just with full 5 gallons?

thanks
Matt

If your recipe is for a partial boil and you want to do a full boil, you may have to adjust your recipe. You'll get different isomerization from your hops with different densities of liquid.

I take all my extract recipes and do 5 gallon boils. The biggest difference is hopp utilization in extract brewing. Theoretically you could add room temp water to your extract and ferment it (not exactly, but you get the idea). The more water, the more efficiently you use your hops...and we all love that. You also reduce the possibilities of infection. Full boils are really important in all grain brewing when you have to do a full mash, but that's neither here nor there. Other than hops, you should not taste a real difference between partial and full boils with extract as far as malt profiles go. I use a 9 gallon pot for my full boils with plenty of room, I've heard of people going as low as 7 gallons, but do keep your eye on it until you are sure it wont boil over (it gets messy). The only different steps you will take is adding 6 to 6.5 gallons in the beginning rather than 2. I say 6 or 6.5 gallons because for a one hour boil you will boil off 1 to 1.5 gallons (start with 6 and if it looks like you are getting low towards the end of the boil add some more). Don't go buy a smaller pot if you are thinking about ever doing full boils, you'll waste money... Hope it all works out and that this helped!

ChshreCat, can you clear up the isomerization comment you made for me. Hopefully this is not insulting, as you may know more about this than me. In a chemical sense isomers can be stereoisomers and constitutional isomers and branch into other definitions there. Isomer refers to a molecules of the exact same composition but with different atomic connectivities or different structural layout. For example, carvone is a molecule in which can be cause the odor of caraway seeds, or a minty scent like menthol, depending on which isomer you get. In drugs, isomers could be the difference between helpful and fatal. However, I'm sure there are things that can change the isomerization of some of the compounds in hops, but I cannot think of why the volume of water would make a difference. The ratio of water molecules to hops would be unfathomable and thus not limiting whether it was 1 liter or 5 gallons. Like I said, you may know way more about this than me and I look really really silly, I'm actually curious though!

hehehe I don't know the chemistry of the issue. Just that when your boil is more water and less other stuff, you get more oomph out of your hops. When your wort is more concentrated, you get less out of your hops.

I almost feel like he is throwing around the word a little too easily and using it interchangeably with utilization. John Palmer is one of the homebrew Gods so he does know his brewing. In his calculation of IBUs he correctly uses volume of water as a factor, which we all agree on. But.....I just feel uneasy about the terminology. Perhaps we should take this to the science of brewing thread area!

Besides hops issues, boiling at high concentrations causes an increase in Maillard reactions. Maillard reactions tend to produce a darker wort with some changes in flavor--often caramel-like. This can be partially avoided by use of late extract additions.

Still, some really great tasting beers can be made with partial boils.

I'm following this thread but could somebody explain how to alter a patial boil recipe into full boil without a lot of theory. Also, what pot is recommended that could later be used as a pot for all grain brewing.

The easiest way for me to convert a recipe is to load it all into Beersmith and note all the specs. Then change the properties to the boil volume you want and note what changes in the specs. Then adjust the recipe to bring the specs back. If the IBU's change, adjust the hops to fix it. If the OG changes, adjust the malt. etc.

Still, some really great tasting beers can be made with partial boils.

Yes, and they're in my fridge. :D

Sorry if I changed the original questions asked in this thread, was not my intention but the question just arose. As far as the pot goes, go for something around 9 gallons if you think you want to do all grain, you could even do 8 gallons. Try and go stainless steel as it will not oxidize and possibly lend odd flavors to your brew.

If your recipe is for a partial boil and you want to do a full boil, you may have to adjust your recipe. You'll get different isomerization from your hops with different densities of liquid.

As far as I understand it as a relative newbie, an alternative way to achieve the same hop utilization as a full boil when you're doing a partial boil is to use the "extract late" addition that Palmer recommends somewhere in How To Brew, so that the OG of the wort that you're going to be boiling is the same density as it would be with a full boil. Basically, what that comes down to is that you add part of your extract at the beginning of the boil, and then add the rest for about the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you're going to end up with half your wort (say 2.5 gallons) from the boil and half by adding 2.5 gallons of water to the fermenter, then you would add half the extract late in the boil.

However, I know that there are many follks with more brewing experience than me who recommend full boils anyway, so there may be more to it than I understand...

As far as I understand it as a relative newbie, an alternative way to achieve the same hop utilization as a full boil when you're doing a partial boil is to use the "extract late" addition that Palmer recommends somewhere in How To Brew, so that the OG of the wort that you're going to be boiling is the same density as it would be with a full boil. Basically, what that comes down to is that you add part of your extract at the beginning of the boil, and then add the rest for about the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you're going to end up with half your wort (say 2.5 gallons) from the boil and half by adding 2.5 gallons of water to the fermenter, then you would add half the extract late in the boil.

However, I know that there are many follks with more brewing experience than me who recommend full boils anyway, so there may be more to it than I understand...

Yep. That's what I do. But I use Beersmith to figured out when to do my late addition and how to adjust. I do some pretty big partial mashes, so I can add all my extract in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

Basically, I end up making a 3-4 gallon full boil batch, adding a measured amount of extract at the end, and the topping up to match the extract after the boil to make a 5-gallon batch.

Back