Oxiclean (just to be sure)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO Oxiclean is just as good as PBW and a lot less expensive. I buy the huge box of it from BJ's Wholesale club. When cleaning my carboys, I just soak them ( and usually forget about them ) then rinse and they come out perfectly clean.

My WalMart in Las Vegas carries the Sun Oxygen Cleaner in a smaller tub for $1.96. The store does not have the OxiClean free.

The Sun brand is scent free and works like a champ too.

Oxyclean is a beast for cleaning, and I usually use 3/4 of a scoop for 5 gallons. It comes out really strong, and my hands feel like they must be melting because they are so slippery when soaked lol.
However, I still sanitize my carboys and bottles with Iodophor.

great thanks. im just planning on using it to soak the bottles for a day or two to get em clean and try to de-label them

Works great on labels. You'll fall in love with the stuff. Ever since I started using it, the wife uses it in almost everything. Laundry, kitchen, bath tub, you name it.

how much oxyclean do you use per 5gal of water?
A little over 1 oz (just above the lowest mark on the green scoop) of Oxyclean Free to 5 gal of water is the concentration I use for cleaning. I soak my carboys and buckets overnight and by the morning, all the trub and rings of yeast deposits have dissolved. Any sediment that still sticks comes off easy enough with my backyard hose. I use plastic fermenters and carboys so I never use a brush, and I've never had to.

I use the same concentration for bottles, and soak overnight. Most labels come away cleanly, but some I need to peel off the paper and then scrub the glue off with a paper towel. Rinse, repeat, done.

I try not to soak any of my more important equipment in the solution for more than a day. However, I have left bottles in a bucket of solution for over a week and had no problems with them. I do still sanitize everything with Star San prior to use, as Oxyclean is not a sanitizer AFAIK.

I use that exact box linked to in OP. I picked it up at Costco, but don't remember the exact price. I've had it for about a year and have barely made a dent in it yet. I mainly use it for cleaning bottles, it removes labels better than anything else I've tried. I soak the bottles in a cooler full of the hottest tap water I can get, mixed up with a scoop or two of Oxy-clean. Takes all the labels right off, except the damned Dogfish Head ones after a 30-45 minute soak.

I buy Sun Oxygen Cleaner from Dollar General in 6 pound tubs for $5. Works great.

THIS Stuff is GREAT! works as well as oxyclean free and cheaper!!!

Cleaned a reconditioned corny with it and got some gunk to come loose that was not supposed to be there (IE cleaned & reconditioned) after a 24 hour soak in warm SunCleaner soak! soak all lines and plastic in it. As well as bottles! BUT it is only a CLEANER. NOT a Sanitizer. StarSan for the final rinse.

i buy mine from Dollar Tree for a buck (everythings a dollar in that store, if you've never heard of 'em)

I think it's called "La Oxygen" or something..

it's the "free" version

I have a bucket that was getting very brown inside. I've let it sit with some oxyclean and water for about a week and a half and it's almost completely white like new. Good stuff.

IMHO Oxiclean is just as good as PBW and a lot less expensive. I buy the huge box of it from BJ's Wholesale club. When cleaning my carboys, I just soak them ( and usually forget about them ) then rinse and they come out perfectly clean.

I've done a side by side test with Oxy and PBW on heavily dried krausen residue. The PBW blows Oxy out of the water for cleaning. If you add a bit of TSP substitute which is normally a sodium metasylicate it makes Oxy waaaaay better at cleaning and much more like PBW. Search PBW substitute on this forum for mix. Costco PBW is $16.99 for that huge box.

OT: If you have noticed the last half of this year your dishwasher has been getting a white scum on it and your glasses, I have your cure. They took phosphates out of your dish washing detergent by law July 1st. You can add them back in by getting REAL TSP, it's the ingredient they took out that makes your dishwasher useless.

Back