Is my brew ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balls_25

Reaction score
OG was 1.036. I haven't taken any gravity samples since. 11th day of brewing. Recipe called for 2 weeks. Airlock hasn't bubbles in days. Froth on top is gone. Should I do a couple sample tests? Or is it ready? Is more sediment, etc. going to sink to the bottom if I leave it a while longer? Does it need more aging? What do you guys do for sanitization of your wort thief? I don't want to mix up a big mixture and waste it. Can you mix it in a bucket, cover, and set aside or something? Thanks guys.

check the gravity. when it's stable for three days, and the reading jives with the expected FG, it's good to go. FWIW, airlocks are just vents. the bubbling or lack thereof isn't a sign of anything. only gravity readings can tell you whats going on with your beer.

take gravity readings a few days apart...if they match and are close to what your recipe called for, go ahead and bottle if you want. you can mix a batch of starsan in a bucket and use it over a few weeks...i do.

Use your hydrometer to be sure you have a stable FG. I then let it sit another 3-7 days to settle out more. Bottle it when it's clear or slightly misty. I saitize everything with starsan. I keep it in 1 gallon jugs. PBW in a homer cheapo bucket.

I thought that was going to be the answer. Everyone else support the idea of mixing a batch or star san and setting it aside?

I thought that was going to be the answer. Everyone else support the idea of mixing a batch or star san and setting it aside?

you can also make some with distilled water and put it in a spray bottle...that will last longer...

Time is your friend. I've never had a beer ready in 11 days. I think the quickest I've ever bottled is about 2 weeks with a wheat beer.

I don't even take hydrometer readings untill three weeks have gone by with the exception of german hefes with Wheihenstephan yeast.

Wait at least a full two weeks, then take a reading. Wait three more days, if reading is same, you can bottle.

Do not repeatedly keep taking readings. No reason to, and you just open the door to infection.

Keep a spray bottle filled with star san and spray your thief with it before sampling. Do NOT return the sample, Drink it or toss it.

I'm repeating this, but time is your friend. It is very hard to make a mistake by waiting longer, but VERY easy to make one by doing something too soon.

If you have a nice tight fermenter/airlock seal, the airlock bubbles are a indication of general fermentation activity, but that's it. To insure a positive final gravity, you need a stable hydrometer reading.

Now, to be certain, much beer has been brewed without a hydrometer by simply letting the beer sit a long time to make sure fermentation is complete, but this is in no way optimal. But it worked for a few thousand years at least!
Pez.

I don't have a proper beer thief instead I use a turkey baster. But I use the baster & fill it up to the bulb then turn it upside down so that the sanitizer sits in the bulb for 10 min. Then turn it right side up so that the sanitizer sits in the tube for another 10 min. So the baster is pretty well sanitized. Same for the hydrometer tube, I make sure it's well sanitized so that I can return the sample.

Back