Mash tun manifold material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDSanders

Reaction score
Is it ok to use PVC to build the manifold or should I stick with copper? I want to build in a large cooler and PVC would be easier to work with. Thanks.

Not regular PVC, no. At mash temps it would leach unwanted nasties. You can use CPVC though. Works great for me!

Another vote for CPVC. You can buy a 5' piece of 1/2" and a few connectors for under $10. Leave it unglued so it comes apart for easy cleaning.

Another vote for CPVC. You can buy a 5' piece of 1/2" and a few connectors for under $10. Leave it unglued so it comes apart for easy cleaning.

+1. Here's mine flipped so you can see the holes on the bottom. :ban:

IMG_1541.jpg

+1. Here's mine flipped so you can see the holes on the bottom. :ban:

Nice looking manifold. I notice that the blue lettering is still on some of the pieces - probably totally harmless, but if you did want to get rid of that, I've found that acetone takes it right off. Just FYI for anyone using CPVC.

Nice looking manifold. I notice that the blue lettering is still on some of the pieces - probably totally harmless, but if you did want to get rid of that, I've found that acetone takes it right off. Just FYI for anyone using CPVC.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

Back