How Much Do Bittering Hops Effect Hop Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a little over a year now. I have just now REALLY gotten into altering recipes.

From my way of thinking, bittering hops are mainly for bittering and have little or no effect on the hop flavor of the beer. For that reason, can I substitute the bittering hops without changing the taste?

If this is true, I could use any high %AA hops for bittering, just alter the amount. Using less of a higher %AA hop means I will have less in the brew, as most places charge the same price per once, no matter what the variety. Is my reasoning sound? Thanks for your thoughts.

I have been brewing for a little over a year now. I have just now REALLY gotten into altering recipes.

From my way of thinking, bittering hops are mainly for bittering and have little or no effect on the hop flavor of the beer. For that reason, can I substitute the bittering hops without changing the taste?

If this is true, I could use any high %AA hops for bittering, just alter the amount. Using less of a higher %AA hop means I will have less in the brew, as most places charge the same price per once, no matter what the variety. Is my reasoning sound? Thanks for your thoughts.

There will be some differences in flavor, but for the most part, it won't be terribly noticeable (especially in low-mid hopped beers). I've read many people on here now have their permanent "bittering hop" regardless of the recipe. I don't, but it's mainly because I don't think of it!

Some perfectionists may argue some are harsher than others, but you are basically correct; you can substitute any hops for bittering.

That's basically what I was thinking. I'm planning my first AG IPA next and a Pale Ale. Hopefully I can work most of it into a bulk hops order. Thanks.

I would tend to agree with your thinking in the OP.
I've heard others say that Northern Brewer can produce an unpleasant bitterness, but I've never noticed it.
I've never heard that Target introduces unwanted flavors, but my current batch of Target does add a definite and recognizable flavor that I'm not particularly fond of.
I think it could well depend on the age of the hops, and how they were stored. I think I have a bad batch of Target.
Now I'm not so sure that using American "C" hops for bittering would not add some (possibly) unwanted flavors. I'm not saying they do, but I can imagine that they could.

-a.

Different bittering hops have different bittering qualities (smoother, harsher, etc), but their flavor and aroma contribution is easily masked by the late kettle hops. I use Magnum for bittering all of my beers that also have late additions, and haven't come across a better hop for the purpose. Very smooth bittering and no offensive qualities whatsoever.

Randy Mosher in "Radical Brew" seems to really advocate the low alpha acid hops for bittering. Of course the problem with that is that you have to add a crap load. I hear a lot about harsh bitterness and smooth bitterness. Magnum I'm told has a very smooth bitterness quality, although I've never done a side by side test with any other hop.

Latest posts

Back