How long to "Crushed" grains keep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
Hi,

Almost 3 weeks ago, I picked some grains from my LBHS to brew Orfy's mild mannered ale. I still haven't brewed this recipe yet, and may not for another week or two.

How long do "crushed" grains keep?

If your grains are dry and in an airtight container, they will stay fresh for quite some time. I have used hard to find crushed specialty grains that were 1-2 months old and they produced some really excellent beer. Therefore, I wouldn't worry to much. If they are dry and in good storage, they will be good for at least a month. Though it is always better to use them sooner than later.

Well isn't that something. About 3 weeks ago I picked up grains to brew Orfy's Mild. Then I got sick, then it snowed....so I still have the grains waiting to brew.

If your grains are dry and in an airtight container, they will stay fresh for quite some time. I have used hard to find crushed specialty grains that were 1-2 months old and they produced some really excellent beer. Therefore, I wouldn't worry to much. If they are dry and in good storage, they will be good for at least a month. Though it is always better to use them sooner than later.

Well they aren't in an air tight container, but they are dry and in a safe place. I'm going to brew up in a couple weeks. Unless I get some strong feedback otherwise I'll just use the grains.

I'm going to use mine today or tomorrow. They were stored in a cool, dry place so I can't see why there would be any problem.

Just use 'em. I've frequently used used grain that was over a month old with no detectable problems.

I have a kit I bought in California last week and I put the grains in the fridge until I can get to it in a couple of weeks (I guess the fridge easily qualifies as a "cool, dry place"). Generally any grain (including regular AP flour) will last longer refrigerated -- the germ will deteriorate much more slowly than at room temperature, especially in warmer climes.

I'd use em. I've made beer with grains crushed for over a month before using and at room temperature and it worked out perfectly fine.

What about at a warm, 80+ degrees for 2 weeks in a paper bag. I know it may sound ridiculous. I crushed and then got super busy. They have been sitting in my a cupboard in my garage.

What about at a warm, 80+ degrees for 2 weeks in a paper bag. I know it may sound ridiculous. I crushed and then got super busy. They have been sitting in my a cupboard in my garage.

You're still fine. As long as they aren't wet or moldy. And as long as there are no bugs of vermin in them.

Back